Occasional Contributor

I was thinking of starting my lock & lock collection but was worried about the staining issue.Is this something that should be of concern?

New Contributor

Yes, unfortunately a red based food like tomato sauce will leave a light tint. I now only use my glass bowls with lids for red. But for everything else, I love my Lock & Lock. .

Respected Contributor

ITA with @Carmela999.

As in any relationship L&L is not perfect. I had one tab break off when I dropped a frozen one , occasionally (for what reason I do not know) a few imperfections have appeared--but rare. 

To me though it is the best. It keeps things so fresh. I am an addict . The lids are so much easier than any other plastic container. Just be sure and follow the L&L lady's counsel to turn the lid upside down when microwaving.

I send DH's lunch with him in Rubbermaid or store cheapies as I know he would lose my beloved L&L. The other day I was trying to remove the lid from RM and almost thought it was impossible. Made me appreciate L&L.

Honored Contributor

Yes, tomato based sauces do stain lock and lock.   I have also dropped a lock and lock container on my tile floor and it cracked.   Using a mixer in a lock and lock bowl will scratch the plastic.   A lock and lock container is durable enough to withstand microwave use, but the plastic does get hot enough to bubble and etch from the liquid contents----the inside of the container will have permanent damage from the heat.    

Honored Contributor

What you have to do is cool the food completely before putting it in there.  I've used some of the same L&L containers for over 10 years, for when I make a pot of spaghetti sauce, chili, etc, to freeze it in portions and then I pop them out and vacuum seal them.  Never has a single container stained.

Also, when I make a batch of something like that I've had it in a larger L&L in the refrigerator for some time and, since I cool the food first, never has one stained.

But that is the nature of plastic, so this is why warm/hot food going into it will cause staining.  This is why I always knew, even since the days of Tupperware, to cool the food first.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've been using the stuff forever, and I've not had one stain at all. I should mention, thought, that I never reheat in them in the microwave.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I've put tomato based sauces/foods in my Lock n Lock, no staining noted. 

Honored Contributor

I've had my collection of L&L's that I use soley. I use them for everything and haven't had any staining no matter what I use them for! They are the greatest invention since sliced bread. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I love my L&L and have used for what seems like forever, without any staining!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Mine have not stained.

This may be because I never use them in the microwave.

~ house cat ~