Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You and DH Differ In Salt Sensitivity???

I can relate. Husband and I don't share popcorn at movie theatre. He adds salt. I do like pepper more than most people, though; on cottage cheese, the top of biscuits before these go into oven and on tomatoes.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I developed hbp during my pregnancies. I gave up cooking/eating sodium 38 years ago.I raised my family without sodium and my dh and I don't consume sodium. Best thing I ever did! Craving sodium is a learned thing. The more you consume the more you want. We only experience what food is supposed to taste like. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Niehter of us likes a lot of salt these days.  He, I think. would prefer practically none, which I think renders food pretty much tasteless.  I prefer a bit.  If we go out to eat, I have a tough time because so much of this stuff is what I call "pre-fab" food and is too heavily seasoned and/or salted. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

DH and I avoid salt for health reasons.  We use spices and preblended spices (Mrs. Dash and Penney’s) to season food.  So far, so good with keeping our blood pressure at good levels in our elder years.  

Respected Contributor

Over the years I have backed off on over salting my food.  It started when I noticed the interesting flavors without the salt.  I still use a bit of salt to enhance the taste.  DH makes me nuts.  He doesn't even taste the food before he grabs the salt shaker.  

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Over the years I have backed off on over salting my food.  It started when I noticed the interesting flavors without the salt.  I still use a bit of salt to enhance the taste.  DH makes me nuts.  He doesn't even taste the food before he grabs the salt shaker.  

@Allegheny You two are a mirror image of me and my DH FOR sure.

Honored Contributor

We try to eat healthy, neither of us uses salt on our food.  There was a time when people used tons of salt but I think people are more health consious now.  Like with smoking, I don't see a lot of heavy salt use anymore.  

Respected Contributor

Switch to a different salt shaker that isn't as generous in the shake.

Respected Contributor

DH prefers almost no added salt, sometimes none at all.  I like a little.  I do all of the cooking and don't use a shaker.  Small pinches are easy to control.

Respected Contributor

@ Yes I do , but he's getting better when he sees how my body reacts  to salt. And he is trying to watch, most of the time.But he is older than me and has had bad  unhealthy eating habits. Sometimes he will get frustrated at the situation of what is safe to eat.