Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Use a Pie Crust Bag?

I can't help you. I don't use anything other than flour on my pastry board. I just dust the board with flour, plop down the dough and start rolling. I rotate the dough after each roll or two and end up with a generally round mass of dough. I then transfer it to the pie plate, trim the edges, and bake them separately as a cook's treat. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I can't help you. I don't use anything other than flour on my pastry board. I just dust the board with flour, plop down the dough and start rolling. I rotate the dough after each roll or two and end up with a generally round mass of dough. I then transfer it to the pie plate, trim the edges, and bake them separately as a cook's treat. 

@gardenman  I did the same thing for about 40 years, and then someone gave me a pie bag. I've used one ever since. BTW, I use the trimmings to re-roll and make a lattice for the top of the pie. The pie bag keeps the trimmings moist while I make the filling.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I make a lot of pie.  I always roll the dough between two pieces of waxed paper.  I have never used a bag.

Maybe you can place a bunch of flour on the bottom and top of the pie crust ball before you put it in the bag.

I don't like silicon for baking. Perhaps you should try wax paper or buy a new bag with no silicon.

@Carmie  I think you are right. I should probably quit the silicon.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

We have done what @gardenman said exactly like this for 30 years or more and it is the only way to go!  We tried that bag thing and other methods and gimmicks and none weren't more trouble than they were worth.

Also, a straight wooden roller dusted itself with a little flour works better than and other roller we've used (many!), and we use a granite counter or wooden board.  

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I bought something like this during QVC's 50 States project.

MISERABLE.

I just can't make decent crust!

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Years ago, I bought something like this during QVC's 50 States project.

MISERABLE.

I just can't make decent crust!

Yes, you can. It just takes a bit of patience and practice. Keep everything cold. Don't overwork the dough. It's better a little overly moist than overly dry. (Not too much though.) Too dry and it just crumbles. I've been making pie crust for 40+ years and it's not all that hard. You don't need fancy stuff. Just a smooth flat surface to roll it out on. A good rolling pin. (I use the round solid dowel type.) And some simple ingredients in approximately the right combination. You don't have to be overly picky about the measurements. You can be off by ten percent or so and still get a good crust. I don't even use a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening and butter. A few chunkier pieces of shortening/butter are fine. You don't want it cut in too finely or you'll lose the flakiness. I just use an old straight-edged table knife to cut it in.

If you want a really flaky dough, cutting and stacking the dough works great. (A Claire Saffitz trick.) In a preliminary rolling, you go square or rectangular, then cut it into four equally shaped pieces, dust off any excess flour and stack the four pieces up. Then roll the dough to the final shape. By stacking the dough you quadruple the layers you would have had with a single sheet. You have to be a little careful as this requires working the sought a bit more, but the extra layering is neat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

EXACTLY!!  I roll the dough like this, and I use the scraps as an extra treat!  We always look forward to those trimmed scraps of pie crust baked w/a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar, pierced with a fork before baking.  Delicious.

I've gone back to making my own pie crust and it is really light years better than anything pre-made, and not difficult.  You do need a rolling pin though!

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Sorry, I'm no help I buy premade pie crusts.

Me too.

Glenda