Re: Do You Use A Panini Press Often?

I have never used one.

Respected Contributor

I had one for years but never used it.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I make hash potatoes on it .....then fold the potatoes and stuff with mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers So good....everyone loves this treat.  This dish alone is worth the panini.

@  OMG that sounds wonderful!  Do you cook the veggies before you put them in?  Wonder if you could dip the potatoes in egg then put them back in and cook the egg?  Like potato French toast sort of. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I not only don’t have the press, I’ve never eaten a sandwich cooked in one!   

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one about 5 years ago....and used it a couple of times at most. I finally "gifted" it to Goodwill practically brand new. I don't have the cabinet space for many small appliances, and I don't like them sitting on my counters. This is just my opinion, but unless your friend has mentioned that she/he really wants one, I'd pass on it as a gift.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  It is drool worthy and I make about once a week...it is a hit!  I use Trader Joe's frozen hash browns and one bag of potatoes covers the grill plate.  I saute mushrooms, spinach, red bell peppers in veggie broth in a separate pan while the potatoes cook.  I take the potatoes when they are lightly browned off the panini and fold it in half.  I put the veggie stuffing inbetween like an omlette.  I sometimes use whatever veggies I have on hand and it is always delish!  I also like adding some salsa.

It is a very healthy dish, filling, and can be used for any meal.  I don't eat dairy or oil, so it is also low fat!

Let me know what you think...it is really easy.

@Sooner wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I make hash potatoes on it .....then fold the potatoes and stuff with mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers So good....everyone loves this treat.  This dish alone is worth the panini.

@  OMG that sounds wonderful!  Do you cook the veggies before you put them in?  Wonder if you could dip the potatoes in egg then put them back in and cook the egg?  Like potato French toast sort of. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Sooner  It is drool worthy and I make about once a week...it is a hit!  I use Trader Joe's frozen hash browns and one bag of potatoes covers the grill plate.  I saute mushrooms, spinach, red bell peppers in veggie broth in a separate pan while the potatoes cook.  I take the potatoes when they are lightly browned off the panini and fold it in half.  I put the veggie stuffing inbetween like an omlette.  I sometimes use whatever veggies I have on hand and it is always delish!  I also like adding some salsa.

It is a very healthy dish, filling, and can be used for any meal.  I don't eat dairy or oil, so it is also low fat!

Let me know what you think...it is really easy.

@Sooner wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd  WOW what an idea!  I can imagine all sorts of things in this.  I have a skillet with a sandwich press, and I'm thinking make the potatoes in the waffale maker.  I am so happy you posted this.

Hmmmm.  Maybe the panini press WILL get gifted!  To me!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  Yes, it is a very creative endeavor.  Truth is, I've used lots of variations and they are all good.  Everyone loves this and it is a quick hearty dish.  Have fun!  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Sooner  Yes, it is a very creative endeavor.  Truth is, I've used lots of variations and they are all good.  Everyone loves this and it is a quick hearty dish.  Have fun!  

@phoenixbrd  You know what I'm thinking?  Sauteed yellow squash strips and onions, and some bacon, maybe a tiny bit of cheese (maybe not on the cheese).

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I don't eat dairy or meat, but no one seems to miss those items when you stuff with tons of veggies.  But this little treat does get the creative cooking juices flowing!  Enjoy....you'll find you use your panini lots with just this dish.