Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Still Use Cookbooks, Or Rely On Websites / Videos Like YouTube??

@avid shopper wrote:

Cookbooks!

@avid shopper Yay! I SO enjoy cookbooks, because I have learned about different cuisine, baking ratios, and ingredients through my many cookbooks and searching online websites!😊

THANK you SO much for caring to share!🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

The only cookbooks or magazines I keep are America's Test Kitchen.  I take photos of favorites and keep them in a binder in plastic page protectors.  My family recipies are in the same binder. I have the family favorites in the computer as well.

@Lilysmom1 Welcome!🥰 You have one of the BEST!!! I have several, and Cook's Country! Their cream cheese pound cake comes out perfect EVERY time except once or twice when I tried to bake one at high altitude!! I did not know that the liquid, temperature and baking time would need adjusting!😊

I LOVE❤  the idea of keeping cherished family recipes in plastic page protectors! I had not thought about that, but have a few that I will now protect in that manner! 😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

I love to cook and have been collecting cookbooks since I was in my 20's.  Over the years I've gotten rid of some that were interesting when I got them but not anymore.  I still have my mother's cookbooks too that are among my most prized possessions because they were hers .

As times change and new cuisines are introudced into our culture I have cookbooks that have to do with those cuisines too.  I do look on line for some things but I still love my cookbooks and, as Sandy Sparkles said, sometimes I like to just sit and read them like a novel. 

@Melzie Welcome!🥰 Awwww! I smiled as I read how your dear mother's cookbooks are your most prized possessions!❤❤ That is truly special!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I've gotten rid of a lot of cookbooks, but I still browse through those I kept. Gooseberry Patch is my favorite publisher of cookbooks. Recipes pop up on Facebook which occasionally interest me, but I'll always be a fan of books.

@AuntG Welcome!🥰 I appreciate your post because I forgot about Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, but am aware they have GREAT recipes! I too, will ALWAYS be a fan of cookbooks!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

I use both, though still prefer my cookbooks.  Two of my most used ones are the Betty Crocker's cookbook-1979 version and the

Good Housekeeping Illustrated cookbook=1980 version.  There is no spine left on the GH book, it is held together with a large rubberband. Pages have come loose and are food stained. Betty is holding up a bit better being in a 5 ring binder. Loose pages, yellowing and food stained.  I would not give those two books up for any amount of money.  As old as they are they have great recipes. Beginner and more advanced.

I have close to 200 cookbooks. All different genres.  From different countries, holiday cooking and baking, pies, cookies, breads, BBQ, canning, healthy eating, etc.  I enjoy all of them and will be sad when we downsize and have to get rid of some of them.  I'm keeping my 2 favorites though!

@Rockycoast Welcome!🥰 WOW! Your cookbook story is so close to mine!!! I know just how special those older worn cookbooks are to you! I thought I was the cookbook queen, but see other posters that have several hundred cookbooks as well! Just the thought puts a smile on my face!😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I have several cookbooks and use them less since Pinterest.  I have a multitude of recipes on there and I use that often.  I also have recipes saved on FoodNetWork and most recently get recipes from Cooktop Cove and The Magical Slow Cooker websites.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I rarely use a website..I love cook books I have quite a few..plus some of my Mom's and MIL's..I've never opened her's..DH insists on them staying in my cook book rack.

Don't know who will get them..neither DIL's cook much..I made a cookbook for both of my boys when they got apt.s..their favorite simple things..didn't want to make them starve..LOL

Took forever for me to make it..I had to measure everything I was using..I don't measure.

DIL's claimed they have used that one once in a while..

Frequent Contributor

Ah, something dear to my heart....I love cookbooks.  Whenever I traveled I would always pick up a local cookbook from the Airport.  I have a ton of them.  When my son and daughter got married I had spoke to the m-i-l/mothers/families of who they were marrying.  I had them send me recipes that were special to their family growing up...I was surprised how many I received.  I put them together in a nice cookbook with notes from anyone who contributed.  I added pictures and a final note from my own mom.  I gave them each a cookbook at their showers.  I cannot tell you how many I have reprinted.  All the families love them, even friends of the families...The first one I made 17 years ago.  My daughter will be the receipient of my collection b/c she loves them too!

Honored Contributor

Wonderful idea @ottowatoo.

Super Contributor

I use both sources.   Of course we all have out standard recipes that we no longer need to search, but I have several cookbooks that I refer to.  I had so many more, donated them and vowed never to buy another.   But, I have purchased a few since then.  I have some online recipes that are very good and a few have been duds.    Some of my best cookie recipes I found in a BH&G cookie book.  I swear by their cookies.