Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Still Use A CROCKPOT / Slow Cooker, and why?😊

@AuntG wrote:

Yes, use mine about four times a month. Doesn't heat up the house, like a oven does. My Ninja (slow cooker/oven combo) has an insert baking pan, and I just made an excellent meat loaf in it.

@AuntG Welcome!🥰 You and other posters LOVE❤ that the crockpot does NOT heat up the house, and as another poster pointed out, it is good when it is hot outside! That can make cooking in the kitchen UNBEARABLE if you do not have A.C., or several large pots cooking at one time.😁

THANK you SO much for caring to share this evening!🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I usually use my crock pot at home when we have a crowd to keep food warm...like sloppy joes, sausage and sauerkraut, sausage and peppers, scalloped potatoes, etc.  I don't actually cook anything in it.

I also have one at our summer place.  We often get up early and go boating all day.  We get off of the lake around 6 pm.

I use my crock pot outside on my deck to cook dinner all day to make it easy when we get back.  

I use it with a little water on the bottom to cook racks of ribs wrapped in foil.  They're really good cooked that way.  I just sauce them up and put them on the grill for about 10 minutes to finish them off.  They are so tender and delicious.

I cook roasts and chicken with potatoes and veggies too.

It's comes in handy in the summertime and for parties.

@Carmie Welcome!🥰 I like that you mentioned keeping food warm for a crowd! Using it simply as a food warmer is a good idea!😁 No one has mentioned dusing it outdoors, but that is another GREAT use for one!😊

THANK you SO much for caring to sharing today!🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SandySparkles  Yes, from days when we worked we love appliances!  Now that we are retired we love them more because we don't have to stand around in the kitchen and "watch pot!" We maybe use the Zojirushi rice cooker most.

I had several stovetop pressure cookers along the way, I'm old, but the best and only one we loved is this Fissler brand!  

@Sooner I like the that you mentioned no standing around and WATCHING pots! That alone is worth the price of admission!😁 As I read your post I remembered that my dear grandmother used the old fashioned STOVETOP
pressure cooker for cooking beans, peas, and various greens! I had forgotten about it, and misspoke in an earlier post so I appreciate your post as it triggered my memory!❤

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

Never had or wanted either..never wanted an air fryer either.

@Jo1313 I'm sort of on your wavelength here.  We bought an air fryer long ago and it lives happily ever after in the garage.  I think it is still there.

For roasts, I always cook them in the oven.  I think a lot depends simply on the foods you cook often--what you really eat a lot. 

Respected Contributor

I use crockpot about 2 times a year maybe if that. I used it more when my kids were young.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles wrote:

I use crockpot about 2 times a year maybe if that. I used it more when my kids were young.

@SaveTheTurtles Welcome!🥰 You are not alone!😁 Like you, there are a FEW other posters who own them, but do not use them, or use them infrequently because they are no longer cooking for larger numbers of people!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

I havent used one in years. I found that food is overcooked and taste leached out of the food. I prefer pressure cooking where taste is infused into the food and takes 1/3 the time.

It easier to hold/serve food warm from a crock pot

Valued Contributor

Hi @SandySparkles! Yet another great topic...I use a Ninja multifunction type of crackpot to cook pinto beans, vegetable stew, chicken tenders. roasts and such and on occasion a dump cake with fruit. I confess, I am not a terrific cook and find this to be one of the easiest ways to toss together a hot meal and clean up is a snap, lol.
Super Contributor

Yes, I stil use mine. My slow cooker specialty is sauerkraut soup, as good as my  immigrant grandfather made, so I have been told. I have also used it for other soups and stews and been happy with the results.

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

I have fond memories of ALL the women in my family using Rival crockpots when I was growing up, and the WONDERFL dinners they made!They were proudly displayed on the kitchen counter or a shelf! They even owned crockpot cookbooks.😁❤ My dear aunt made an apple dsessert that was eye crossingly good!😁 I used one regularly for a time, but then I fell in LOVE❤ with pressure cooking. Nowadays versatile mutli use pots are all the rage and well LOVED.😊

Do you still own and use a crockpot/slowcooker?

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles , My favorite thing to make in the slow cooker is Mexican flavored chicken. I just throw 3 or 4 breasts in the cooker and dump a large jar of salsa over them. When the chicken is done , I have the base for tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, or Spanish rice. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan