Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Still Do Congealed Salads?

@RedTop wrote:

Yes, my family has a favorite, and we never have a holiday meal without it. 

@RedTop I'd be interested to know which one it is if you would care to share.

Honored Contributor

the name sounds kinda gross lol! i do like fruit in jello.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

We always had what was called a ribbon jello salad for Christmas. Several different colors of jello layered with one layer being lemon jello with cream cheese and pineapple. Took a couple days to make because of letting each layer set in refrigerator. I liked it. Then my BIL joined the family and my sister wanted changes to accommodate some of his family traditions so we went to a frozen salad with cranberries, don’t remember what else, just know it was not as popular as the ribbon salad! LOL
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi  I do remember some jello molds with meat / spam or something like that. . . I know. My monthly brunch group will be doing a 50s dinner after the covid19 season lifts. We were going to do this for a spring event, but that didn't happen. We're all born in the 50s and can only make a dish from that decade. Hubs are invited although they'll probably wish they weren't. Someone's making chicken tettrazzini as main dish. Yikes.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@ECBG I hear you!  I didn't like the tomato too much either.  The apricot was slightly more palatable!

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake Meat/spam? Wow! How does that taste? That sounds like aspic or head cheese. We eat something called "Souse," which is pretty much like head cheese. But, it isn't made with Jello, just clear gelatin and cheek, tongue and head meat.. 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake    I was in grade school in the 1950's............and I remember my ma making "tunaghetti" for Friday night dinner (yes, every week).    The recipé was:   A pkg of Chef Boyardee powdered spaghetti mix, and a can of tuna, and spaghetti noodles.     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi I cannot even imagine how that would taste. I can't judge. Dad (raised in Appalachian mountains) kept a jar of pickled pigs' feet in the fridge. Kids moved it to the back corner of fridge to hide it when friends came over. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@Desertdi I cannot even imagine how that would taste. I can't judge. Dad (raised in Appalachian mountains) kept a jar of pickled pigs' feet in the fridge. Kids moved it to the back corner of fridge to hide it when friends came over. di

@jeanlake    I once had a boyfriend who LOVED those things.    He ate them as a "snack" watching TV.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have never done them.