Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Still Do Congealed Salads?

@ECBG wrote:

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

These were hugely popular with my grandmother and my mom when I was growing up!  We ate tomato and apricot aspic too!  I was surprised to find, when I got older and out in the "real" world, these WERE NOT popular menu items! Smiley Happy!

@FastDogWalker2 Food habits are always interesting to me.

I could never handle tomato aspic.  It appeared to be thickened V 8 just which I loved with pepper, I just couldn't handle the thickness of an aspic.

I could live on tomatoes.  Often, as a child, I'd have to swish with buttermilk because the tomato acid would break out the inside of my mouth.

I never had jello with fruit in it until the other day. it was delivered with my grocery order since I haven't been going out shopping recently. IT was jello with fruit cocktail in it, It wasn't bad. Lol Although I just asked for jello cups.

V8 I love it. I add Franks Red Hot Sauce to it. It tastes great.

Respected Contributor

I eat jello mixed with canned fruit occasionally.  I also like lime jello mixed with cottage cheese and crushed pineapple.

Honored Contributor

I was never a fan.  However, a few years ago I came across a Blueberry one I like and sometimes make for holidays.  It has some crushed pineapple and canned blueberries in it, but the fruit is not overbearing the way it is in the ones I remember growing up.  It also has a cream cheese/sour cream/sugar toppng and then some nuts sprinkled on top although I often consider those optional.

Honored Contributor

Never had one from the looks of it I am pretty glad about that

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My mother would try a jello "salad" recipe but the mixture never seemed to set up properly.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, my family has a favorite, and we never have a holiday meal without it. 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

The most entree ever, a savory jello salad featuring OLIVES of course. I hated green Jello salad! Jello Flavors, Jello Recipes, Salad Recipes, Jello Desserts, Fruit Jello, Lettuce Recipes, Fruit Dips, Grandma's Recipes, Fruit Salads

@jeanlake That is just grotesque(!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  I never liked Jello salads. My Mom never made them, but she kept Jello on hand in case anyone got sick. My MIL served them at every family gathering. They made me choke - especially the ones with grated carrots! Fast forward. My DD makes a "pretzel salad" which consists of strawberry Jello, whipped topping and pretzels. I'm sure there is more to it, but that's what I remember. All of her in-laws request it. I don't see how it is a salad, but if it pleases her in-laws, so be it!

Honored Contributor

I have an old cookbook that belonged to my aunt during the 50's...every other recipe is a congealed salad...never knew you could do so many things with jello. Thumbs down to all of them!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG  I never liked Jello salads. My Mom never made them, but she kept Jello on hand in case anyone got sick. My MIL served them at every family gathering. They made me choke - especially the ones with grated carrots! Fast forward. My DD makes a "pretzel salad" which consists of strawberry Jello, whipped topping and pretzels. I'm sure there is more to it, but that's what I remember. All of her in-laws request it. I don't see how it is a salad, but if it pleases her in-laws, so be it!

@PA Mom-mom I have a pretzel salad I did with mandrian orange I believe.  This was at least 20 years ago.  I got it from a coach at our school.  She mad it and it was so yummy.

I don't think they're really salad, since a vegetable serving is 1/2 cup.  

It seems some of these were added to a meal to introduce a little taste of sweetness.  They were put on a small plate often, because hot food would melt them.