Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Serve SALAD at Holiday Meals?

I serve potato salad.

Frequent Contributor

Growing up in the 70's-early 80's, the only salad we had during the fall and winter holidays was Ambrosia, made by my Grandmother, and early 70s I vaguely remember those jello salad molds with green jello and shaved carrots and radishes.  Yuck.  In later years my Mother would sometimes put out a tossed lettuce salad, and no one ever touched it.  I never thought tossed salad fit into those holiday dinners.  Too much of a selection of other foods we only eat once per year to be tempted by a salad..

Honored Contributor

Yes, I always serve a green salad and a vinaigrette dressing along with all the other sides. Thanksgiving it will be a raspberry vinaigrette.

Occasional Contributor

Of course, yes. What would be better than Greek salad or Caesar salad? By the way, if you have a salad in front of you during the meal, you'll try it at least once. As a rule, during the holidays we eat heavy food, but salads may help with that problem.

Trusted Contributor

No, we do not serve a traditional salad, but we do usually have a tomato and mozzarella salad with balsamic glaze at holiday meals.  I am making it for Thanksgiving at my father's house and I'll be making it again for Christmas at my house.

I often make it in place of a traditional salad, even for just regular meals at home.  Everyone always loves it!

Honored Contributor

Yes , we like them ,and they are carb friendly

Respected Contributor

I don't even serve salad at non-holiday meals.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner. Mom even had a cut glass plate with compartments made for different relishes which were usually celery sticks, black olives, sweet pickles, spiced crab apples.

@Kachina624  I have two of those, one was my mother's fostoria and the other is one I got for a wedding gift which is crystal set in silver.  I love using them but at Thanksgiving my family has so much to eat that it is hardly touched so I save that for teas, card games, Mexican dominoes and Bunko, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Green salad?  No.

My mother in law makes something every year called Heavenly Hash.  It's some mixture of fruit cocktail in a can, tiny mashmellows, crushed pineapple, even more sugar and fresh whipped cream mixed in. 

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Green salad?  No.

My mother in law makes something every year called Heavenly Hash.  It's some mixture of fruit cocktail in a can, tiny mashmellows, crushed pineapple, even more sugar and fresh whipped cream mixed in. 

I bet everyone lines up for that!  LOL!!!