Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Serve SALAD at Holiday Meals?

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

We didn't usually serve a traditional salad.  It would have ended up in the trash!  Thanksgiving is not a holiday that anyone in our family ever worried about eating healthy!  In later years when I would bring some extra dishes, I would try some healthier dishes involving various vegetables, etc., which previously had not been on the traditional menu ---- and hardly any of them got eaten.  A big waste of time, money and energy!  I, myself, like to try some different, and even more healthy sides, but no one else is interested so I don't bother. 

@AngelPuppy1 That's my story!  They even liked those little hard, cheap pull apart rolls better than big fluffy ones. Figure that out!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess I change it up all depends on what I end up serving. But We do enjoy a salad of some kind.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

it is a side dish for us, but the side dish of sauerkraut also includes some country spare ribs and lots of freshly ground pepper. we usually start it the night before in a crockpot and it cooks low and slow. my grandfather used to put it on top of his mashed potatoes instead of gravy.

some in our area serve it with some type of sausage or wurst.

some add brown sugar, apples, caraway seeds.

its all good! it is a thanksgiving essential for us. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@ECBG W ow thanks for all the idea's especially the pimemto stuff celery. I think we will really enjoy that, bumped up from just crackers. I also think cheeseballs served in celery would be a welcome change. I would image less sodium that way. Now I'm getting exicited about Thanks-giving.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner Any way you do !!

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD I forgot, and my guests were suprised that I put olives , and celery in the egg stuffing and didn't seem to like it until they recognized it.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   Somewhere in the distant past I had a soup with sauerkraut in it!  

I Don't remember exactly what it was, but boy that would be good to use leftovers to go with the turkey sandwiches and LEFTOVER (Woman Very Happy) salad the next day or that night!  

I'm going to have to look up that recipe!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

We didn't usually serve a traditional salad.  It would have ended up in the trash!  Thanksgiving is not a holiday that anyone in our family ever worried about eating healthy!  In later years when I would bring some extra dishes, I would try some healthier dishes involving various vegetables, etc., which previously had not been on the traditional menu ---- and hardly any of them got eaten.  A big waste of time, money and energy!  I, myself, like to try some different, and even more healthy sides, but no one else is interested so I don't bother. 

@AngelPuppy1 That's my story!  They even liked those little hard, cheap pull apart rolls better than big fluffy ones. Figure that out!!!!!

@Sooner 

I hear ya!  In our family, it's always been about the traditonal recipes --- so, don't EVEN think about deleting, changing or adding anything new!  I found that out when I decided to try out some new stuff!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I usually make a 7 layer salad, because I like it.

Respected Contributor

I think in any large group of dining at least a basic green salad  is a nice gesture. The larger the guest list the  more likely there is someone trying to keep gluttony at bay . A salad helps with this endeavor. I find someone usually comments " I am so glad someone brought salad."