Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Serve SALAD at Holiday Meals?

@DEnatsfan wrote:

My family loves sauerkraut for Thanksgiving.  Does that count as a salad?

@DEnatsfan No, that counts as a hot dog. . . LOL!!!!  Sorry, but nothing about sauerkraut says Thanksgiving to me.  

Maybe 4th of July?  

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Yes, I do.  I either make a 7 layer salad or a spinach salad with egg and bacon.  It is overkill but some of our group love it!

@FastDogWalker2 Is that the one where you fry bacon and put oil and vinegar and a tad of sugar with some of the bacon fat, get it all hot and pour it over the spinach to wilt it?  

Oh I love wilted spinach salad.  Bacon, onions, eggs, spinach and that sweet tart hot dressing!  I'll take that ANY day of the year!  ANY day!  

Regular Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 I had never heard of or seen a relish tray until we had a pot luck at work.  I had no idea what one wasn't, and it is still to me an odd thing to have on the table!  LOL!!!

Relish trays with different pickles, olives, hot and sweet cauliflower, and small pickled onions were a staple growing up in western PA.  Every celebration had one that was devoured.

Honored Contributor

We always had two salads - green salad and salad with fruit.

Honored Contributor

@DEnatsfan wrote:

@DEnatsfan 

YES......thanksgiving is NOT thanksgiving without sauerkraut!

an old family tradition.......and a big baltimore tradition.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

One year I set out a couple of bunches of green grapes before dinner was ready.  They were gobbled down in a hurry and I think of doing it again but never have.  Maybe this year.

Honored Contributor

We didn't usually serve a traditional salad.  It would have ended up in the trash!  Thanksgiving is not a holiday that anyone in our family ever worried about eating healthy!  In later years when I would bring some extra dishes, I would try some healthier dishes involving various vegetables, etc., which previously had not been on the traditional menu ---- and hardly any of them got eaten.  A big waste of time, money and energy!  I, myself, like to try some different, and even more healthy sides, but no one else is interested so I don't bother. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Yes, I serve caesar salad. My family does not like stuffing and casseroles so we are not filled-up on those.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@DEnatsfan wrote:

@DEnatsfan 

YES......thanksgiving is NOT thanksgiving without sauerkraut!

an old family tradition.......and a big baltimore tradition.

@sunshine45 @DEnatsfan 

That is what is so much fun about sharing our traditions!  You find old favorites you'd forgotten about and new ideas like sauerkraut that you would NEVER have thought of!  

So for us, I'm thinking of kraut with a big ham or in the middle of a big crown pork roast!  We have done those sometimes for holidays.

Honored Contributor

@DeeJoyce wrote:

One year I set out a couple of bunches of green grapes before dinner was ready.  They were gobbled down in a hurry and I think of doing it again but never have.  Maybe this year.

@DeeJoyce Grapes are SO beautiful especially in some big footed glass server where they can drip over the side. I see that in magazines.

We try to keep some out in a dish on the counter so we'll get something good for us when we're not eating as we should!

Grapes and apples!  What would we do without them?