Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Serve A Green Vegetable Every Evening?

No.   As far as my husband is concerned, there is only ONE vegetable and that's corn.

His mother forced him to eat green beans until he left home for the Army, and in our 46 years of marriage, the only green beans I've seen him eat are in a pot pie or vegetable soup.   

Esteemed Contributor

My DH kids around (I think...!) that he doesn't do anything green!

Me on the other hand...

My favorite food is green leaves! But any vegetable will do! I often just do a veggy for supper. (Either a meat/fish or a veggy.)

DH will eat steamed broccoli. When I do cook meat & vegetables together, it'll more than likely be carrots & potatoes.

Honored Contributor

I usually serve a green vegetable with dinner unless it’s cabbage or cauliflower. Spring mix salad, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, green beans, spinach are always on hand in addition to cauliflower and colored mini peppers, and a few others. I love them all!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must be the twin sister to @Meowingkitty that I never knew I had! DH and I are exactly the same. I do not cook a traditional meal(s) every day, and we don't have a green vegetable every day either. When I do cook a veggie, we like cooked (canned) carrots with a little butter and brown sugar, or a sweet potato or canned yams, frozen spinach, or even a big acorn squash as a meal. We eat a lot of fresh asparagus in the spring; and sweet corn, fresh salads and tomatoes in the summer. Having a green veggie every day isn't at all appealing to me and I know it wouldn't be to DH either!

Some meals are strictly leftovers that may or may not include a vegetable, and where each of us will heat up whatever we're hungry for. Some meals are as simple as tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Meal time at our house is between noon and 2:00!

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Pook -

Last night as we ate some great take out stuff we were all saying how there is something about canned vegetables, the kind a lot of us ate when we were growing up, that is just so comforting.

And no matter how many, fresh, grilled, roasted vegetables we make, there is always that great remembered canned taste lol!

So true!

And, @ECBG 

neither of my sil's would eat any vegetables (french fries not included!) until they got married and  they were slowly introduced and encouraged!

This gave me a flash back to dinner table at our house growing up.  I never had a canned vegetable except hominy.  Mother just didn't buy them.  We usually had a protein, starch and vegetable but the veg never came out of a can.   To this day, I don't like canned vegetables.  They taste so weird to me.  DH on the other hand didn't grow up with fresh veg and he'll open a can of peas and eat them right out of the can.   I leave the kitchen when he does that.  😏

Respected Contributor

Not always a green vegetable, but probably  4-5 days a week.  Some nights it’s carrots or cauliflower or summer corn.  Yesterday made a big pot of chicken tortellini soup with spinach.   We do like our veggies!

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@ECBG Fortunately, both my Significant Other and I like vegetables so there is no problem having them as part of the main meal.

Spinach, green beans, peas, escarole, broccoli, cabbage, and others often grace our board.

Tomorrow's dinner will probably be ham, cabbage, onions, rutabagas, and potatoes.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 

Once, as a child, I went over to an older cousin's house.  They made us a mid day dinner and had done turnips which I had never had.  I could have eaten the entire bowl!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I try to serve vegetables at every meal, even breakfast.

We eat several varieties everyday, except my DH does not eat peas.

@Carmie 

If DH doesn't eat green peas, I wouldn't be concerned.  They're very high in sugar.  Greens and salads rank on top.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

No, DH only accepts peas corn and green beans without complaint.  I have a giant spinach salad every morning for breakfast for my warfarin regimen, so I'm being taken care of even if he chooses not to be.  

@depglass 

Just so you will be aware, with the exception of green beans, everything else is high sugar.

Honored Contributor

I'm a big salad lover. I laugh at those that don't like vegetables because my dad has always hated them. He's lived a long healthy life too.