Honored Contributor

We didn't have much jello growing up.  I have a pretty neutral feeling about it.  My husband would be so thrilled to get it during a hospital stay!  

What puzzles me is how negative Americans react to a lot of foods that are actually heritage foods, foods that remind us of home, or hark back to another time.  So many other cultures do the opposite.

We seem to discount that a of these items were quick, cheap, and available whereas many areas had such limited access to canned, quick or convenience foods up until the 50's and 60's, as troops had come home and wartime production moved back to consumer goods.

These were new and exciting foods, quick for a lot of women who now had jobs, and they were welcome treats in a very bland diet.

So to me, although I am not a huge fan of jello, I like seeing these things from creative cooks using products new to them.  I'd build a monument to 50's food if it were up to me!  It would be a monument to those women! 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Absolutely.  I don't mean disrespect the ladies at all. 

Jello was their exciting "new thing and a welcome change" no doubt.  I'm certain they did the best they could and loved their families. These are just my memories.

No doubt as other things became available and nutrition education was more widely shared, family menus were affected.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG I am sorry if it seemed I was pointing at you.  Wasn't!  Woman Embarassed

I just wonder why our culture has little connection to so many of the dishes that people ate back when in this country.  I envy others who cherish theirs more.  

Honored Contributor

I LOVE jello, especially cherry!   Jello was a cheap and easy dessert for the 5 of us.  

When my brothers and I saw this one particular turquoise bowl in the fridge, we knew Mom had made our very favorite jello dessert with sliced bananas, fruit cocktail, and pieces of toasted coconut marshmallows in cherry or black cherry jello.   

I always count on drinking jello when I prep for a colonoscopy.   Jello makes me smile, and takes me back to some of the best days of my life.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember This?

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG I am sorry if it seemed I was pointing at you.  Wasn't!  Woman Embarassed

I just wonder why our culture has little connection to so many of the dishes that people ate back when in this country.  I envy others who cherish theirs more.  

@Sooner 

Awwww.  Totally get it now, thank you.  

I really think education is the key, then there is also the MCDonalds is a family dinner" location.  Remember that one?  Those ladies were working, frazzled, and rescued by Crockpot!

There was a time McDonalds had a lettuce and tomato hamburger, but couldn't keep up supplies.

I realize we crave the new and exciting. 

It would seem that the "best of the best" came forward.

I have a wonderful main dish casserole my grandmother started making when I was 14, probably from her bridge parties.

I wonder the percentage of young families that have family recipes?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG Maybe this will encourage some people to serve dishes that have a family history or that you have a funny story about--maybe serve the dish along with a picture of the relative and a little about them.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG Maybe this will encourage some people to serve dishes that have a family history or that you have a funny story about--maybe serve the dish along with a picture of the relative and a little about them.

@Sooner 

I encourage you to share.  My childhood was spent in the innocence of what I didn't realise.  My teen years in books and coasting until I could leave.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG My aunt made wonderful creamed corn, but I don't have a recipe.  She made wonderful cookies and fried apricot pies too.

She made a squash or sweet potato (can't remember!) pie once and her husband said it was awful--couldn't eat it.  She put it in the fridge a few days and casually said she'd made a pumpkin pie.

He allowed as how it was THE best pumpkin pie he ever ate!  She won!  And never let him live it down.  Those two could always laugh at themselves.  They were a joy! 

Honored Contributor

Growing up, every occasion included some kind of jello mold.  Most of the times they were a seasonal version. I never understood serving with a dollop of Mayo or Miracle Whip, though. 🤮

Honored Contributor

I never really liked the Jello with fruit in it, but I do have a recipe that has crushed pineapple and a cream cheese topping I like.  My Grandmother used to make Pink Pie that was Jello, frozen strawberries, and Cool Whip in a graham cracker crust.  I looooved that growing up.