Honored Contributor

My stepmother occasionally served a cherry jello with fruit cocktail with dinner, and they were good enough. 

I was a growing teenager and hungry. 

I think the "thought" at that time was "fruit is healthy" and the sugar didn't register.

I never liked lime jello, but love Key Lime pie, and lime sherbet.

Because of their popularity, Tupperware had a large mold which she used.

Congealed Salad (Jello with fruit) - Picture of Kurtz Restaurant, Bardstown  - Tripadvisor

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

My stepmother occasionally served a cherry jello with fruit cocktail with dinner, and they were good enough. 

I was a growing teenager and hungry. 

I think the "thought" at that time was "fruit is healthy" and the sugar didn't register.

I never liked lime jello, but love Key Lime pie, and lime sherbet.

Because of their popularity, Tupperware had a large mold which she used.

Congealed Salad (Jello with fruit) - Picture of Kurtz Restaurant, Bardstown  - Tripadvisor

i still have that Tupperware mold!

Honored Contributor

We had plenty of canned fruit for dessert after dinner but not with jello.  I remember my grandma having a volume of Jello salad recipes that she served at her bridge parties.   They seemed to be the chic thing to serve during that era. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Remember This?

[ Edited ]

My aunt made some kind of gelatin dessert with fruit but the gelatin was white. It was so good. And yes I remember the mold too. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We had plenty of canned fruit for dessert after dinner but not with jello.  I remember my grandma having a volume of Jello salad recipes that she served at her bridge parties.   They seemed to be the chic thing to serve during that era. 

@Kachina624 

Jello salads were such a "hot" thing from the 1950's (maybe 1940'S) forward.

This one with cottage cheese was a hot one.  I just couldn't "take" the texture or the lime!

I saw it at picnics and stayed away!

Lemon Lime Jello Salad - Mom On Timeout

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

Yes, I remember Jello with fruit cocktail for dessert!  My mom varied the jello flavors, but definitely no lime.  I love key lime pie, but not lime jello - yuck.  Since it was the 1950s and 60s, I think canned fruit was thought of as healthy. Jello was always dessert, never used as a salad.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@ECBG  In the 50's and 60's dessert was an expected part of a meal. Even if it was something simple like jello, pudding, cookies, ice cream or a dish of fruit. I baked something every week,but sometimes I did make jello with fresh or canned fruit in it. My mother gave me her copper jello molds from the 50's and

I used those sometimes and sometimes just in a bowl.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh how I hated that stuff. Canned fruit WAS dessert, surrounded by jello or not, it was enough to make me skip dessert. I think that in the 50s and 60s, anything that was quick and easy was looked at as progress. Now we're digging out the recipes of our great grandmothers in order to create delicious desserts.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  I still have that Tupperware Jell-o mold. It's green. Haven't used it in years. Just can't part with it though. It was my mom's. She gave it to me in the late 70's. And I sure do remember her making Jell-o and fruit cocktail.

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

@ECBG  I still have that Tupperware Jell-o mold. It's green. Haven't used it in years. Just can't part with it though. It was my mom's. She gave it to me in the late 70's. And I sure do remember her making Jell-o and fruit cocktail.

@Queen of shop 

The one my stepmother used was standard clear/white.

The design on the top could be changed.