Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember The Dinnerware From Your Childhood?

@Carmie wrote:

I have a few pieces of the everyday dinnerware we used when I was a kid.

Some pieces have a chip or two, but I still love the pieces for memory sake.B3BA596C-B51A-4D5C-8322-63CB5E29E893.jpeg

We had these when I was older.  Franciscan Hacienda came in avocado green or harvest gold.  We had gold.  The  shine came off in the dishwasher but not the pattern. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat--I got 2 sets of this Corelle patern for a wedding gift in 1975---still have them too--now I have fiestaware

Honored Contributor

We too had the golden wheat dishes; enough for us as a family of 4. Mom also had another set of everyday dishes with dark green ivy leaves, also enough for 4. She still has the meat platter of the ivy set, but gave the wheat set to a family who lost their home in a fire.

In 1965, Mom got a set of melamine for 6, for Christmas, as my baby brother was old enough to eat off a plate by then and dad insisted he had to have a matching plate.
Regular Contributor

Such sweet memories. I can sense the love and affection in everyone's post. ❤️ 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had Housecat's Corelle with the blue edge as my own daily set for several years.  As a child I remember W.S. George china with some red bittersweet on it, don't know the name of the pattern.  We also had a nice set of yellow flowered good china for Sunday.  My mother finally gave me my grandmother's Fiesta, she had this habit of putting stuff away and no one knew about it.  I'm just the opposite, use it, for Pete's sake, your descendants might not like it.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Corelleware

@qbetzforreal   I have some Corelleware, the white set.  Still good after all these years.  So handy using for small get togethers and they look great with my black stemware.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a flat in Chicago.  We probably went through a few sets of dishes with 2 boys and 1 girl.  I remember dishes that were an off white with some small orange flowers around the border and the border at a gold rim and there was one orange flower in the middle of the plate.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I have a melamine platter (white with sone blue design) that DH git from home more than 45 years ago. So many bringing up grocery Store dinnerware, dear MIL collected the flatware from the gas stations to go with it.
Frequent Contributor

This is such a nice thread! We too had melmac and I seem to remember it was gold with a fake wood border? Our main dishes when I was little though (born 1966) were Colonial Homestead by Johnson, a green pattern with little scenes from a cozy room on each and I loved them. I think my mom got them at a garage sale. We used glossy brown dishes for “good”, that is until my mom saw the green ones at an antique store. Then she swapped them and the green became the good ones! I still have a few up on the wall in our family room.
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, I just looked it up and it was colonial homested by Royal