Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember The Dinnerware From Your Childhood?

I wish I could remember. Our "good" everyday dishes were a beautiful white on white embossed heavy ironware (I think). It had flowers and vines embossed around a wide rim. I think Mom just picked it up at one of the department stores and came home with it. Our regular everyday dishes were different ones my grandmother had in various patterns. She also had a set of Limoges from the turn of the century that came directly from France, courtesy of my father's mother. 

How I wish I'd kept the white pattern. I kept the Limoges of course, and another small blue and white English luncheon set she had. I also inherited two sets, Blue Willow and something else,  from her mom, in addition to all of the others. I have my grandmother's "everyday" Fiestaware. As the only surviving child, I could have easily kept the white dishes, but I had so much already that I passed and let them go. 

Honored Contributor

@coconut1818 wrote:

The original Fiestaware.  My Mom was so proud of it.  That was the 50's.  Different colors, yellow, navy blue, turquoise and cream color.   I have her (7) dinner plates, a platter, a gravy boat and one saucer!  Brings back wonderful memories.  

@coconut1818   Among other sets of dishes, we also owned that set.  We had several sets of dishes, china, corelle, porcelain.  My mother was sort of into dishes as was my grandmother and since we lived a stone's throw away, I felt like either my mother or my grandmother had every dish and I had to wash them every night.

Esteemed Contributor

Corelleware

Honored Contributor

I have a few pieces of the everyday dinnerware we used when I was a kid.

Some pieces have a chip or two, but I still love the pieces for memory sake.B3BA596C-B51A-4D5C-8322-63CB5E29E893.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Glad this was asked.  It evoked a lot of precious memories for me.  Like learning to wash dishes standing in a chair with the slats toward the sink so it would lean in and I could reach the sink.  Washing dishes with my sister and since she was senior, she could not put her hands in water so she dried.  She was allergic to anything that required a lot of labor or anything that she might deem nasty.  She also got headaches riding in the backseat of the car so she got to ride upfront.  Some sweet and some that I can smile about now, knowing that I should have been so wise as to feign headaches and dishpan hands. 

Respected Contributor

@Happy2BHere wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

It was a wheat pattern that came from laundry detergent.

I remember a wheat pattern too, kind of like this pattern that came in Duz detergent - but seems like it was just a little different (or it was the same and my memory is bad OR some other soap company or other product/place was giving similar-but-different wheat pattern dishes OR could have been with trading stamps lol):

wheat.jpg

wheat2.jpg 

The gravy boat seems really familiar:

wheat3.jpg

Oh my!! I got chills when I saw your picture of Golden Wheat. Definitely on my table growing up.

Honored Contributor

only remember the dinnerware used during my late teens and beyond. my mom actually STILL has many of the pieces. i also remember our holiday dinnerware.....lenox holiday which we still have and use to this day......and still collect pieces.

ARCOROC SEABREEZE

arcoroc seabreeze.jpg

LENOX HOLIDAY

lenox holiday.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My mother and I rode the bus downtown to a weekly matinee. They would give dishes away and she had to complete her set! 
  There was a lady who played the organ and we sang to songs following a bouncing ball. Then saw newsreels, a serial, coming attractions a cartoon then the movie. 

I don't remember the brown every day China we got, but she had better that she used on holidays. 

Super Contributor

49CAEE02-9E41-47D4-B49B-34DB275F5C27.jpeg9393E11A-F9CC-4708-B38B-F490CC07D78C.jpeg

our everyday dishes growing up were Syracuse China "Nordic" - top photo

and special occasion dishes were Syracuse China "Patricia" - lower photo

I still have both sets 😊!

Honored Contributor

You'd have to hypnotize me to regress and remember what our dinnerware was. I'm thinking they might have been pale green glass with edging that looked like fork tines when pressed into the edge of a pie crust.