Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Cafeterias?

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

This brought to mind another cafeteria in NYC - B. Altmans, at 5th and 34th Street had a huge one called, I think, the Planatation Room -

Big open spaces with tables packed in - I was very shy in those days and often I had to share a table with others - agony until someone asked a question and by the end of the meal, we were all friends.

I don't actually remember the food but that was never the highpoint - having a meal at B. Altman's was.

Our next topic should be the wonderful old real coffee shops - 

Trusted Contributor

Bishop's Buffet in the Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines, Iowa when I was growing up. I vaguely remember lots of whipped cream...

Luby's and Highland Park Cafeteria in Dallas. I still meet friends at the Highland Park Cafeteria on occasion. YUM

Esteemed Contributor

There was a Picadilly's cafeteria across from campus. That's where parents took us when they visited. My eyes were always bigger than my stomach. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

@kutira wrote:

OMG. Other than school, we had a Bishop's Cafeteria--one was downtown and one was out at the "new" mall in the late 60's.

@kutira, did we grow up in the same hometown?  

Bishop's was the only place my mother liked because you didn't have to wait for your food like in a traditional restaurant.  I remember eating there one Thanksgiving after my DB went away to college.  

Bishop's had the best french dip sandwiches and chocolate pie.

Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl  Thanks for reminding me about Lit's! I think it was in the same complex as the H&H. Such good memories!

@Carmie  The Hess Store in Allentown was amazing!  I remember the strawberry pies and the rainbow colored sugar. The kid's meal came on a little stove.

Esteemed Contributor

Indoor kitty, I remember The Home Dairy in Ithaca. The food wasn't great but it was a throwback to an earlier, happier time. Their pastries were very kid-friendly. And for those of us who were students at Cornell or Ithaca College, the Home Dairy was a place to fill your stomach for a small amount of money.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 @Kachina624 we still have a lot of Luby's here in San Antonio. 

Respected Contributor

My mom and I often went downtown to the Home Dairy. Oh, I want to go there right now! Such great food--and wonderful desserts. Oh, my. . .

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

There was a Picadilly's cafeteria across from campus. That's where parents took us when they visited. My eyes were always bigger than my stomach. 

That's where my daughter learned mac & cheese is a vegetable.

She was about 5 when I started letting her make her own choices.

I told her 1 meat & 2 veggies.   She looked at every veggie choice then asked "is mac & cheese a vegetable?"    At Picadilly, yes it is.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   We still have our K&W Cafeteria. It's not the healthiest food, but wow, when I'm in a cheat mood...I head there for all my favorites and fill my tray and half of DH's. Chicken & Dumplings, fried chicken livers w/ rice & gravy, turkey and dressing (cranberry sauce, of course), Mac 'n Cheese, fried okra, stewed tomatoes, corn bread and of course strawberry shortcake or if in season, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie and Coconut Custard Pie...only eat 1/4 of my desserts. OMG, never mind my Mexican restaurant. Think I'll go to my cafeteria first...or cafeteria for lunch, Mexican for dinner. Lol