Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Cafeterias?

@jlkz wrote:

As a youngster, my grandparents would take me to Horn & Hardart automat cafeteria.  Alsways got the same thing: Salisbury steak ( meatloaf ), mashed potatoes and baked beans.  Dessert behind the coin-operated little door: lemon meringue pie !  I can still smell and taste it all.

Long gone...what a shame !

@jlkz   Oh WOW! Finally confirmation that it really exists! DH grew up in NY & always told me about Horn & Hardart. He said you put in your money, open the little door, take out the food item and someone puts another one for the next person. Well, for a girl from NC, that sounded ridiculous and always thought he was pulling my leg. Guess I owe him an apology...51 yrs. overdue. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   DH and I have been in the S&W bldg. many times...now shops and restaurants like a mini mall.

Super Contributor

In OKC we went to Furrs, Piccadilly, and Boulevard .  All were the best, and sadly all gone.  I always got coconut cream pie.  YUMMO. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG   DH and I have been in the S&W bldg. many times...now shops and restaurants like a mini mall.

@Shanus The one here?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus The one here?

@ECBG   Think that's the one. Looks familiar. Showed DH. No?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus The one here?

@ECBG   Think that's the one. Looks familiar. Showed DH. No?

@Shanus In Asheville?  There's only one.  I haven't been in there except once years ago.  The Junior League had a holiday show with some really nice craft items.  

Trusted Contributor

it was fun reading about all of the cafeterias!  My mom would take me to KMart and we would have lunch in their cafeteria.   They had the best baked rice pudding - wish I could get that recipe!   Such good memories.

Esteemed Contributor

Here in Indiana, we have MCL.  They used to be called MCL Cafeteria but have changed over to MCL Restaurants but it's the same concept.  It's my mom's favorite place to eat but I'm not a fan.  Way Overpriced for the quality!!!!!  In Mooresville, Indiana, there is quite a famous cafeteria called Gray's.  I've been once over 20 years ago but don't remember much about it.  These types of places, whether a cafeteria or a sit-down restaurant, just aren't my thing.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Today's buffet restaurants - e.g. Sizzler and Old Country Buffet - are similar to cafeterias (well. except for "all-you-can-eat").  I wonder if they'll return post shut-down, or is their goose cooked.

Regular Contributor

My grandfather owned a cafeteria in Philadelphia for decades. It was on the corner that now houses the Federal Reserve Bank. My dad grew up eating many meals there and liked to have all his food in separate dishes. Peas in one bowl, potatoes in another, etc. It drove my mom crazy! She also loved the cafeteria and when they were first married if she didn't feel like cooking she would tell my dad to go to the cafeteria and bring home dinner. She loved the strawberry shortcake and says that the bakery was amazing.  It was called Green's Cafeteria.