Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Cafeterias?

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

Here, growing up we had a long standing art deco building that was an S & W cafeteria.  I used to go there on Saturday night as part of spending every weekend with my grandmother.

They had some good things.  I liked the way they grilled a steak although usually I got the roast beef, mashed potatoes and a salad (their roquefort salad dressing was wonderful. I can't remember the vegetables, but I remember oil and vinegar on cucumbers and onions and congealed salads on a lettuce leaf which it seems few homes do today.

I couldn't understand why anyone would get garlic bread on a saucer (cold), Amazing egg custard pie, chocolate pudding, and strawberry shortcake.

The historic S&W Cafeteria building in downtown Asheville, North ...

CHARLOTTE EATS: S & W Cafeteria **HALL OF FAME EATERY**

Do you have any memories?

I love cafeterias and yes we still have some in Greensboro NC.   We have K & W Cafeteria, which has been here as long as I've been in Greensboro (since 1969).  It was downtown back then.  And we have J &S Cafeteria which is very good too.  Both places have the best mac & cheese you can find anywhere down south and their turnip greens are really good too.  Needless to say, I love their vegetables.  Their turkey and dressing is very good too when they have it..  And I love their chicken livers and onions when they have it.  I keep thinking of stuff I used to love from those two places.  I haven't eaten at one in a while..

Honored Contributor

Only remember cafeterias in school, college, and hospitals. 

I remember Horn & Hardart in New York City and Philadelphia, not really a cafeteria.  They called it a coin operated automat.  Last one closed in 1991.  

Regular Contributor

Yes I do and they are not all created equal.  There is a great one in St. Clairsville Ohio called Mehlmanns that we frequent often and love their food.  Try is sometime if you're in the area.  I  live in western Pa.. and it takes about an hour to get there but it is known for great cooking and great food.  I always enjoy going there. And their prices are great also.  They are closed during the pandemic but will return after this is over.

Trusted Contributor

Oh my gosh, I haven't thought about cafeterias in years. When I was a little girl we lived in Arkansas for three years. My parents used to take us to a cafeteria one Sunday a month. The food was all homemade, and all these years later I can still remember how good it was. I don't remember the name of the city or the name of the cafeteria. But, I still remember the banana cream pie. It was the best I've ever had. Would love to have a piece now.

Valued Contributor

@ Jlkz - Oh, how that brings back the memories for me!   My grandmother used to take my sister and me there, and that was my favorite meal.  Sometimes I would also get the creamed spinach.  So good!  And those baked beans......mmmmmm

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@jlkz  My Mom took me to a Horn and Hardart in Willow Grove, PA. We would go when shopping in Jenkintown.Horn and Hardart.jpg

@PA Mom-mom  My Mom and my maternal Grandmom would take me to the Willow Grove H&H too! And shopping at Lit Bros  Willow Grove and the Wannamakers and Strawbridges stores in Jenkintown. Got my ears pierced at Strawbridges. Great memories.

Contributor

I'ts so funny that this topic came up. 

My husband & I were just talking about this last night.

I sure do remember Horn & Hardart's. I used to go there as a kid with my Mom after shopping. I always got a kick out of putting the money in the little slot & the little window opening up with what you wanted. I always got the macaroni & cheese. It was so good.

We had good memories - good times. I wish there was still a place like that today.

Things were simpler when we were kids but, we had wonderful times.   

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1   The Home Dairy had a great bakery, not that I could afford much (I was a poor college student!).  I remember the cookies they'd display in the window, especially the half moons - they looked delicious.

Home Dairy.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@QVCkitty1   The Home Dairy had a great bakery, not that I could afford much (I was a poor college student!).  I remember the cookies they'd display in the window, especially the half moons - they looked delicious.

Home Dairy.jpg

@ValuSkr , Thanks for the picture, it brought back happy memories.  I always loved Ithaca, the parks, the lake, good times.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

The only cafeteria I remember growing up was at Woolworth's Five and Dime. Does that count?

I never knew Woolworths had a cafeteria, they used to have a lunch counter which is very different.

I remember going to S & W cafeteria, Morrison's, and Piccadilly.