Honored Contributor

This thread got me craving macaroni salad which I am making this morning.  Found celery, green onion and a red bell pepper in fridge.  Picked up some Sabatino's Chiptole Chicken Sausage at Costco the other day.  I will chop some of the sausage and add some cubes of cheddar cheese, some mayo/vinegar dressing and I am all set.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Prefer Potato Salad Or Macaroni Salad At Cookouts?

I'm a potato salad snob.  My only preference is that it's homemade with Hellmanns.  I will not eat store bought.

Respected Contributor

That's my mom's slaw--always oil and vinegar, never mayonnaise dressing. And it was great.

I like potato salad (French style, oil and vinegar) and don't like mac salad at all. but many people LOVE pasta salads of all kinds. 

Honored Contributor

I like both  but when I only want to make one, I make a pasta salad.  Not  the macaroni wtith mayo kind.  I like a lighter pasta salad, I use italian salad dressing. 

Honored Contributor

Potato salad, especially German.

Respected Contributor

At Summer cookout I prefer to make a slaw with finely shreddedcabbage, oil, visit gear,salt,pepper,garlic salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Omg... its so good after it sits a while.  I like  pasta,salad with a no mayo - based dressing. I make  one with bowtie pasta,sliced red onion, mozzarella, pepperoni, and  Ken's Sweet Vidalia Onion dressing. Sometimes I make an antipasto pasta salAd. The Ramen noodle salad is also a big hit. All are kept on ice,but they are a safer choice.

But if I had to choose between your options, potato salad is my preference.

Honored Contributor

i really like both......and think you should have both. Smiley LOL

i also like having a big green salad with lots of fresh vegetables.....lettuce, tomato, carrots, cucumber, broccoli, celery, red onion.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@SoonerMine is similar to yours except it has

1/2 C sugar

3/4 C Oil

1     C Vinegar

1 tsp. celery seed

1 tsp. dry mustard

The sugar goes on top of the vegetables, then the boiling oil, vinegar and spices are poured over.  We didn't stir until time to serve.  That way you have no sugar crystals.

I think the reason it picked up the nickname "Freezer Slaw" is because it keeps longer than slaw made with mayo.  I've never actually heard of anyone freezing slaw.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm a potato salad snob.  My only preference is that it's homemade with Hellmanns.  I will not eat store bought.

@CelticCrafterStore bought potato salad is gloppy!  Yuck!