Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Open Your Oven Door?

No. My husband used to do it though.

Trusted Contributor

I do open the oven door when I'm finished baking in the winter months, never in the summer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I will keep it open in the winter and most of the fall and spring.  Definitely not in the summer.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I won't dare show my husband this post because this has been an ongoing bone of contention since we've been married.  

He always leaves the oven door slighty ajar after using it.   I, on the other hand, have never heard of leaving the door open.   

My mother never left the oven door open.   I've told him for years that no one ever does that.  

Now that I see that many of you do indeed leave the door open after using the oven I guess I have to apologize to him.

One time I even googled whether you needed to cool your oven down by leaving the door open.   The articles that I read stated that it wasn't necessary because the oven cools itself in time.  

My husband still insisted that it helps by opening the door.  

I finally gave up and figured that an open oven door wasn't worth arguing about.  

I guess his idea wasn't all that crazy after all.

Valued Contributor

No, and this is the first I've heard of it. I avoid using the oven during the summer except to bake bread which doesn't take long and do any braising in the instant pot. 

Honored Contributor

DH is anti waste, so that heat is let out with a completely open door in winter.  I'm anti heat, so it stays closed in this hot weather.

Esteemed Contributor

No.  Definitely not.  If Eddy didn't get too close to it and burn himself, I'd probably trip over it!

Me bad:  I always shut off the oven about ten minutes before recipe is done - it takes even longer to cool down, but at least it has begun to by that time.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of leaving the door open.  Ever.  

And another thing is not baking in summer.  We use our oven year around.  We did when I was growing up.  We always put something in on Sunday mornings (unless we were going out for lunch).  Mother always baked cakes and oven-fried and oven baked fish people caught for big family suppers. 

Nowdays when ovens are so well insulated because of the high self-cleaning temperatures they get to, I don't see why it would matter much.

I would think leaving a hot oven door open would be a hazard.  

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I always keep oven door open after cooking/baking to cool it down faster.  My husband always closes it.

Honored Contributor

I actually had to stop & think about this....I haven't used my oven in months!  I have used my small counter top oven but this time of year I  eat a lot of salads and grilled items. 

I don't bake since DH doesn't eat sugar and I certainly don't need it.

No I don't keep my oven open after using it.