Trusted Contributor

Do You Open Your Oven Door?

[ Edited ]

Do you open your oven door after you are done baking or do you keep it shut and let it cool down slowly?  I usually open it a little way in both the summer and the winter.  In the summer I turn the exhaust fan on also to remove the hot air from the kitchen.

I wonder which method is more energy efficient when you have the air conditioning on.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Open Your Oven Door?

I leave it a little open for a short while to help it cool down faster.  Part of that for me is because I don't use it regularly so I store a bunch of stuff in there.   

Also, I will sometimes turn on the over-the-stove fan during that time to help out.   It might just be me, but it seems like the oven takes longer than it used to to cool down after I use it.

Respected Contributor

Never! Especially not in the summer. It's 108 degrees!!!! NO!

Respected Contributor

In the winter I will leave it slightly open to help heat the room.   If the oven is warm, I'll put in my pots/pans and metal bakeware in after washing to dry.

Respected Contributor

I don't.  But I'm pretty sure my mother did . . .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

I have always kept mine closed.

never heard of anyone doing it any other way

Respected Contributor

When I finish baking I will open the oven door during winter months. Never when it's  98 degrees outside.

Honored Contributor

Only in the winter. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Yes.  In the winter, I'll open the oven door after baking.  It's nice to have a warm kitchen when the rest of the house is cold.  In the summer, I try not to bake at all.  But, if I do, it's six of one, half a dozen of another whether I leave the door open.

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss  In the winter yes, in the summer no. Unless the baked item needs a bit of tweeking. If it needs a bit of finishing, I'll leave it in the oven and open the door.