Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Make "Fried" Cabbage?

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner I let the cabbage slightly brown like you do and it was SO much better than what I grew up with!  I could have eaten the entire pan!  I didn't expect it to cook down as much as it did!

This is as great as finding out how to roast Brussels sprouts!  Whoopie!Smiley Happy

@ECBG GLAD you liked it!  It is good isn't it?  Been thinking about putting walnuts in it and can never remember to do it!

Wasn't that old boiled mushy, stinky, soggy cabbage awful?  Ick!  

@Sooner Oh my gosh!!!  I want it EVERY day!  Just a big bowl of that and a glass if white zin!  Done!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG  Now there's an idea for quarantine time!  Woman Very Happy  It is surprisingly good, inexpensive and good for you.  Who knew?  LOL!!!

If you ever want it more tender, you can add a tablespoon or two of water and steam it a minute 

@Sooner It WAS tender!  I cut just under 1/3 of an inch.  Boiled was NEVER like this!Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Use more butter than oil...salt, pepper, Lawry's and garlic salt.

The Best!

Monke

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Yes, big fan of fried cabbage.   Hot skillet, bacon grease, salt and pepper, stir with tongs to coat, cook about 6 minutes in open skillet, then add a tablespoon of water, cover, turn heat off and let sit a few minutes to soften.  

Exactly!!  Bacon grease or Butter!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG it's one of my DH's favorit things !    I slice onions and saute ithem in the olive oil till there nice and brown then add the cabbage and some garlic powder and fry (cook) away  - it's so good !!!

Honored Contributor

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

@ECBG it's one of my DH's favorit things !    I slice onions and saute ithem in the olive oil first then add the cabbage and some garlic powder fry (cook) away  - it's so good !!!

Since I never heard of fried cabbage, I looked up a recipe. It said bacon, onion, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic and brown sugar. Not sure if that is an "official" recipe. But it was tasty.

Trusted Contributor

I do fried cabbage in milk (as I learned from a Russian friend) and I do wilted cabbage. Two very differen dishes in appearance and in taste; both are loved by my family and friends.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

I do fried cabbage in milk (as I learned from a Russian friend) and I do wilted cabbage. Two very differen dishes in appearance and in taste; both are loved by my family and friends.

@FiddleDeeDee Very interesting!  How much milk, doesn't it scorch?

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I made fried cabbage for lunch. I took about 1/4 of the head of cabbage that my husband bought for his corned beef and cabbage. He bought one big head of cabbage. But I didn't want to be greedy, now I wish I took more cabbage.

I really liked it. Will definitely make it again. Thanks for chatting about it. Not sure why I never heard of it before.

@drizzellla Amazingly, this goes back really into the 1800's and beyond since cabbage could be kept in root cellars.  Of course cabbage was often used for kraut too, which I don't eat since I'm only a fan of vinegar in salad dressing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I added my leftover "Fried Cabbage" to some leftover Pasta F*gioli.  Surprisingly delicious combination!

Edited to remove part of the word???

Valued Contributor

Oh dear!  I forgot about doing Onions First!

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

@ECBG it's one of my DH's favorit things !    I slice onions and saute ithem in the olive oil till there nice and brown then add the cabbage and some garlic powder and fry (cook) away  - it's so good !!!