Honored Contributor

Do You Make "Fried" Cabbage?

[ Edited ]

Most of us grew up in a vegetable rich time.  Frozen veggies weren't the norm, fresh was.  More people had vegetable gardens too.

As a child, I remember my grandmother's housekeeper making "fried" cabbage.  She would half the cabbageThen cut across the narrow side about every third inch.

In a cast iron skillet with a little oil, salt and pepper, she let the cabbage cook down, turning occasionally.  Likely, she added a few bacon and sausage drippings.  I use a little pork seasoning from Goya in the foreign foods asile.

Today, a lot of people might add a few shakes of red pepper.  I don't like hot.

How do you "fry" cabbage?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Make "Fried" Cabbage?

@ECBG Cut it into shreds, put a tiny bit of oil in the pan with a tiny bit of butter, sautee the cabbage, add salt and usually soy sauce, flip and stir a little more and eat!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG Cut it into shreds, put a tiny bit of oil in the pan with a tiny bit of butter, sautee the cabbage, add salt and usually soy sauce, flip and stir a little more and eat!  

@Sooner Do you cook your cabbage until it doesn't crunch?  The thing about southerners cooking everything through is real,lol!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I like to fry leftover cabbage in the skillet with leftover pork chops and some butter. I'll add some boiled potatoes if I have them.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG I love cabbage....fresh every day in the lunch salad, both purple and white. It is include in the IP when I steam veggies.  And, I like it in the stirfry with other veggies.  However, I "fry" mine in low sodium veggie broth!Smiley Wink  Cabbage is king!

Super Contributor

My grandparents made fried cabbage. They fried it in butter and added salt and pepper. They added it to cooked noodles.  It is a Slovak/Czech dish called Haluski. Yummo!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i love fried cabbage......onions (caramelized), cabbage, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, bacon grease or butter, garlic powder (or sometimes roasted garlic), and some saffron. tastes so good and the color is beautiful.

we also have a recipe where fried cabbage and onion is mixed in with basmati rice, ground beef or tiny meatballs, dried basil, dried leeks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

so good with bacon and I use the fat to carmelize and onions! love it

Honored Contributor

From my Mother.  Fry cut up cabbage, onions, and potatoes until tender in a little butter on low heat.  Salt and Pepper.  

Pieces of crisp bacon can be added.  

Honored Contributor

I make fried cabbage often..we eat a lot of cabbage.

I fry in a little Olive oil with the lid on...so it steams...add salt and pepper and usually some cooked bow tie pasta mixed in. I can't eat pasta, but my DH loves it with cabbage.