Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Love Grapefruit? I do!

My parents always split one every morning of the winter season.  Many times I had Texas Ruby Reds shipped to them as a gift.

I've never been as fond of them and would rather have a sweet, juicy orange plus, like many people, I take a Statin which isn't compatible with grapefruit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Love them; always did.  My Dad used to cut one in half and share.  He'd slice each section to make it easier for me to spoon out and he'd sprinkle a tad of raw sugar on top.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  That is so thoughtful shipping your parents Ruby Reds (my favorite).  My aunt loved peaches and I would send her Harry & David peaches on her birthday...miss her!

Honored Contributor

I LOVE all kinds of grapefruit, but it effects high blood pressure meds!  Bummer!

I got high BP from 4 grandparents!

Respected Contributor

I love grapefruit too, but if it's too tangy, gotta add a sprinkling of sugar!  I seem to crave it in winter-  also Adore grapefruit and citrus scents in anything! 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Kachina624  That is so thoughtful shipping your parents Ruby Reds (my favorite).  My aunt loved peaches and I would send her Harry & David peaches on her birthday...miss her!

@phoenixbrd    I adore peaches too but its hard to find good ones here without running up to Colorado.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  I love grapefruits. When I was growing up I didn't. I could never understand how my mom ate them daily. Somehow, something changed in my taste buds and I enjoy the pink and especially the red.

I never liked salad either growing up. Just plain iceberg and hothouse tomatoes with oil and red wine vinegar. Yuck. As I got out more in the world, I discovered more greens. Like spinach, Boston bibb, red leaf. Now we eat a salad with supper every night.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 I have to have mine with salt!

Valued Contributor

I love grapefruits, but unfortunately I am on a medication that I cannot eat them and my doctor told me to absolutely not eat to eat them because it would cause some major issues.  I loved them even when I was a child...my mother would sprinkle a little sugar or put a lttle honey on top and put them under the broiler for a few seconds to caramelize the top and they were so delicious, but I would also eat them plain.  I sure do miss them and the pink ones are my favorite.

Esteemed Contributor

I like it but wouldn't say I love it. I have to have a sprinkling of sugar on it when I eat some. That's how my parents ate it so I learned that from them.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown