Honored Contributor

Do You Like "Coated" French Fries?

I had lunch with a friend the other day and just felt like a good hamburger with lettuce and tomato.  They didn't offer potato salad, so ordered fries, planning on eating just a few.

The fries were coated.  I'm not a fan and justed want a fresh wedge of potato with a little catsup.  

I looked up how to "coat" a French fry and learned they are sprayed with a "potato starch".  Empty calories.  No thanks.

Don't eat the crispy french fries: FDA tells how to cut acrylamide

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Like "Coated" French Fries?

@ECBG No. I prefer fresh cut fries that are dropped into hot grease. My favorite fries are from a little drive up hamburger joint in New Mexico. Their fry cutter has a missing blade so a few of the fries in every order are double in width. They are as fresh and tasty as any ever served.

Honored Contributor

I don't know.  I haven't eaten a french fry in almost three years. I do know that potato starch is something I look for on ingredient lists and do my best to avoid.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG Agree, a big no on coated fries; give me MickeyD's fries a couple times/year & I'm happy.

Respected Contributor

we call them double dipped fries, sometimes battered.  aside from the nutritional value, they are delish.  can't beat the crunch on them.

Honored Contributor

I like seasoned curly fries, otherwise I don't like French fries.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've only eaten French fries a couple of times in the last decade. But before trying to give them up, I never met a fry I didn't like.

I'd give these coated fries a try -- once.  The added crunchiness would probably be really good.

Esteemed Contributor

No.....I prefer fresh cut French Fried, or potato wedges.

Respected Contributor

Still my kids and grandkids fav. I just bathe the cut potatoes in ice water and dredge in seasoned flour (put a touch of cornstarch for extra crispness). The key to the best fried anything is peanut oil.

Honored Contributor

I make my own french fries in the oven (wedgie style), usually with a sprinkle of garlic, tasty salt, and smoked paprika.