Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Like The Grains That Have Come About In the Past Decade?

I like the Healthy Choice Power Bowls (freezer section).  The one I like has chicken, spinach, feta & either farro or quinoa.   I pick a couple of those up and have them for lunch at work once a month or so.   I like the newer (to the U.S.) grains that have gotten more popular in recent years.  I don't think I would care for them individually as a side dish but I do add quinoa to beef vegatable & other soups.  I would like to try experimenting with other grains in cassseroles and soups.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite frozen meals are the ones I make myself.  Meatloaf muffins, mac and cheese muffins, stew, chili, sliced chicken or turkey in broth, stuffing mufllins, soups, frittata; all are quick to heat and eat and I know what is in them and how they will taste.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I like the Healthy Choice Power Bowls (freezer section).  The one I like has chicken, spinach, feta & either farro or quinoa.   I pick a couple of those up and have them for lunch at work once a month or so.   I like the newer (to the U.S.) grains that have gotten more popular in recent years.  I don't think I would care for them individually as a side dish but I do add quinoa to beef vegatable & other soups.  I would like to try experimenting with other grains in cassseroles and soups.

I like like Healthy Choice Power Bowls too.  I keep some in the fridge when I have grab, heat and eat.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Those sound great, I'll have to check them out!

Honored Contributor

@dex I thought salt, fat and sugar were the three food groups?????Woman Wink  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

My thoughts as well.  Have had great farro or quinoa dishes in restaurants but when I've bought it at Wegman's and tried to make it - it's bland. In restaurants they put a lot of the stuff that's not so good for you into it - that's why it tastes so good!

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@ECBG  Have you tried "Amy's" frozen meals? A friend bought some of them for me while I was flat on my back and couldn't cook at all. They were surprisingly tasty and a lot better than I expected, although I did add pepper from my pepper grinder and cumen to a couple. IIRC they seemed relatively healthy. (At that point I didn't care! Was happy to put something in the microwave, eat and go back to bed.) 

ETA: Seems like I had a couple different Mexican types, Thai, and some other foods that were quite good. Sorry that I don't remember them! She also brought lots and lots of green peppers, which I cut up and eat like candy. (I've always done that.) Bags of CA Blend veggies, which I heat in the microwave. Pineapple chunks and cantelope pieces for snacks. Oatmeal with some raisins for breakfast. And baked chicken from the deli. Handfulls of mixed nuts for protein.  That's what I lived on for six weeks! 

@BirkiLady Thank you. I thought a discussion of grains would be interesting.  I cook or we grill every night.  Thank you again.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I recently discovered amaranth. It's a small seed and is harvested in S.America...a superfood from the Aztecs. It's loaded with all kinds of vitamins, minerals and protein. I like to eat it for breakfast with fresh fruit. It sort of reminds me of grits as far as the consistency but a little different. The taste is slightly sweet and has a mild nutty flavor. Keeps me full for the entire morning. 

I found out about this grain from Dr. Sanjay Gupta's "Chasing Life" series on CNN. What a great man and such a wonderful and informative TV series.