Honored Contributor

Do You Like The Grains That Have Come About In the Past Decade?

I got some freezer meals for when I needed an alternative meal.  I figured that for taste, Stouffer's was the best choice.

I got hit with grains when I never really cared for things like grits and rice.  Dried beans, NO way.  can't stand the texture.  Can't help it.  We all have a palette.

I got Stouffer's Teriyaki Chicken and a bowl of brown rice and soy beans.  I also got precious few pieces of broccoli and shaved carrots.

I'm definitely going to have to think if something else.

I think it will be takeout.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Like The Grains That Have Come About In the Past Decade?

[ Edited ]

I like those meals that come in big plastic bags.  They're quick to cook in a skillet and usually make 2 servings.  Marie Callendar chicken pot pies are good but I got burned out on them.  Stouffer's enchiladas in a box.  There are many breakfast egg/sausage, pancake, waffle things that could be eaten for dinner.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

• Some stores carry cooked, frozen brown rice, just plain brown rice. Try that, get some frozen cooked veggies, frozen shrimp, throw them together and add seasoning. It should be very tasty and, while not together in one package, it's very easy and healthy.
  • recently I've also found frozen riced cauliflower. It's obviously not a grain but it's just another idea.

good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I like those too!

Honored Contributor

Watch the sodium in those meals.  They are loaded. My sister was having BP problems and swelling.  After switching pills a few times, she was asked if she eats canned soups and frozen dinners.  

She does...about twice a week.  Once she stopped, her BP came down as well as the swelling.  I don't know why they have to overload them with salt.  I suppose to preserve them better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  Have you tried "Amy's" frozen meals? A friend bought some of them for me while I was flat on my back and couldn't cook at all. They were surprisingly tasty and a lot better than I expected, although I did add pepper from my pepper grinder and cumen to a couple. IIRC they seemed relatively healthy. (At that point I didn't care! Was happy to put something in the microwave, eat and go back to bed.) 

ETA: Seems like I had a couple different Mexican types, Thai, and some other foods that were quite good. Sorry that I don't remember them! She also brought lots and lots of green peppers, which I cut up and eat like candy. (I've always done that.) Bags of CA Blend veggies, which I heat in the microwave. Pineapple chunks and cantelope pieces for snacks. Oatmeal with some raisins for breakfast. And baked chicken from the deli. Handfulls of mixed nuts for protein.  That's what I lived on for six weeks! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I second the frozen riced cauliflower options from Green Giant.  Love those.  Also like the butternut squash ones.

One grocery store by me has a freezer bin in the meat section - you pick the meat and veggies you want and mix them together.  Something like that would be great to keep in the freezer.

You do have to check those frozen meals, they are full of fillers and yucky stuff.  Anytime I buy one I feel like I'm getting cheated.

Esteemed Contributor

Aren’t we all so different?  I was raised on grits, rice and beans.  Rice is still my comfort food.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Watch the sodium in those meals.  They are loaded. My sister was having BP problems and swelling.  After switching pills a few times, she was asked if she eats canned soups and frozen dinners.  

She does...about twice a week.  Once she stopped, her BP came down as well as the swelling.  I don't know why they have to overload them with salt.  I suppose to preserve them better.

The reason they load salt is for taste.My gym trainer told me that the three food addictions are sugar,salt and fat.He said weight loss is as simple as avoiding those and moving more.

Honored Contributor

I love all those grainy things except for quinoa which I don't like----not sure why---but give me any grain or legume and I will happily eat it. Grits---omg---yes please. those frozen meals are so high in sodium----don't buy any processed garbage in boxes anymore. Fresh made is the best. tons of recipes out there for all that too. And with the pressure cookers--you can cook it all up in such a short time now.