Valued Contributor

When I was younger, we used to visit my Da on every other weekends. He introduced us to sardines in oil and red sauce (don't like the mustard version), canned octopus, and shrimp of all kinds. So I did grow up liking those things. Hard to eat if they're smaller, picking all that bone and cartilage out. But tasty alone or on crackers.

Respected Contributor

HECK NO!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

No way would I ever try one. My neighbor baits racoon traps with them.

@AuntG Everybody knows how smart raccoons are!  

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

I don't think I have ever tried them.  I like anchovies, are sardines similar?

I like anchovies too @Allegheny .  Sardines are nothing like them.  I'm not sure I can really describe what a sardine tastes like.  I think you'd have to try them to know.

@Citrine1  Picked up a can this afternoon.  Our store only had them available in olive oil or water, no mustard or tomato sauce.  I got boneless/skinless in oil;  I like them.  They remind me somewhat of canned tuna only stronger in taste.  I might put them on pizza instead of anchovies.  Poor DH just gagged when he saw me eating them.  He lives a boring life foodwise.

@Allegheny Don't you love trying new stuff?  I do!  My husband sometimes looks at a menu and dreads what I'm going to order!  LOL!!!  But sometimes he likes it too.

I order things I don't think I will like sometimes because I think I just might like it.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like my sardines (plain ones) with wasabi and rice. I used to put a splash of soy sauce on there, too. But it's way too much sodium so I don't do that any more.

@SilleeMee  I love wasabi!  I love those wasabi peas!  I'll have to try this!  We eat a lot of rice too.  

Once in an Asian food store I got to the check out with a big of sticky rice and the clerk grabbed it and said "NO!  Sticky rice!"  I grabbed it back and said I wanted it.  She grabbed it again and said "NO! Sticky rice!"  

So we're going back and forth and my husband walked up and said "WHY are you having a tug of war over that rice?"  LOL!!!  I finally wrestled it away from her and paid for it.  

He still teases me about that!  

Honored Contributor

Never, they are gross and stink.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like my sardines (plain ones) with wasabi and rice. I used to put a splash of soy sauce on there, too. But it's way too much sodium so I don't do that any more.

@SilleeMee  I love wasabi!  I love those wasabi peas!  I'll have to try this!  We eat a lot of rice too.  

Once in an Asian food store I got to the check out with a big of sticky rice and the clerk grabbed it and said "NO!  Sticky rice!"  I grabbed it back and said I wanted it.  She grabbed it again and said "NO! Sticky rice!"  

So we're going back and forth and my husband walked up and said "WHY are you having a tug of war over that rice?"  LOL!!!  I finally wrestled it away from her and paid for it.  

@Sooner  did you ever figure out why the clerk done that ?Smiley Frustrated  Makes me think of the Seinfeld episode of 'The Soup Nazi' --"no soup for you ." Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

No.  Prefer anchovies.

Honored Contributor

NO I DO NOT  Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Sooner  did you ever figure out why the clerk done that ?Smiley Frustrated  Makes me think of the Seinfeld episode of 'The Soup Nazi' --"no soup for you ." Smiley Happy

@okaywitheasypay  Oh yes!  She thought since I was not Asian I didn't know what sticky rice was!  This was a long time ago and it was at a big Asian market in Dallas.

It was really funny.  Well, looking back it was funny but at the time, I wanted the danged rice!   LOL!!!  My husband was standing far away laughing his sox off.  Not helping me at all can you imagine that???  Woman LOL