Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I love them.  Husband avoids them!  

I look for the ones caught and canned in Scotland or Spain or Portugal.  They are so good!  I love them just in olive oil maybe with some hot sauce on them too or some mustard if I'm in the mood for spicy. 

Anyone else out there love them?  Do others in your house eat them too?  

I'll have to look for Scottish sardines. Like sardines, and especially that they're a great source of calcium and Vit D. I've discovered that sardines in sriracha are wonderful. If you can tolerate the heat, try them. The hot sauce takes all the fishiness away.

I tried water-packed sardines once. Never again. I gladly eat other fish that's water-packed, like tuna, but the sardines tasted terrible.

Also love canned kippered herring, kippered herring in the jar (sour cream or matjes), anchovies, etc. 

@noodleann Smoked oysters!  Do you like them?  Those tiny ones?  I have actually found a source on Amazon to get them that are canned in the USA!  Washington I think.  they are so good!  They aren't soaked in olive oil so I add some of my own.  They are VERY good!   Not cheap, so I don't have them often!  LOL!!!

I confess I have never had an oyster in my life. Tons of clams, some mussels, buckets of scallops, but no oysters. Except oyster chowder in the Grand Central Oyster Bar, but it tasted like clam chowder to me.

I'll have to try smoked oysters. I'll be in a town with a posh supermarket  next month, so I'll have to check their shelves. Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I ate them when I was little, with my dad. No one else in the family would touch them and mom banished us to the basement to eat them.  We had the mustard kind and put them on saltine crackers.

I need to get some. Haven't had them in a few years.

Respected Contributor

I don't think I have ever tried them.  I like anchovies, are sardines similar?

Respected Contributor

What is Agita ?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes!  Many years ago I had a sardine salad at the Sardine Factory Restaurant in Monterey, CA.  (I thought it only appropriate.)

It was just a salad with sardines on top.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou  indigestion

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I don't think I have ever tried them.  I like anchovies, are sardines similar?

I like anchovies too @Allegheny .  Sardines are nothing like them.  I'm not sure I can really describe what a sardine tastes like.  I think you'd have to try them to know.

Respected Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

No, I cannot even watch someone eat them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Nope, I don't do seafood.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown