Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Like Sardines?

[ Edited ]

@SoonerI can Picture that exchage!  It was nice of that checkout clerk to try to save you from making a mistake.  Even if you DID know what you were doing! 

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I received a flyer in the mail from a company that sells wild caught seafood of various kinds.  Sardines being one.  They claim Portugese sardines are superior to anything sold in grocery stores.  I thought if I were going to buy for myself, I'd like to try a couple of what they offer, no salt being one of them.

If you are curious. check out vitalchoice dot com, in the search box type Sardines and all of the options will come up.  They even offer a sampler box.

I buy the Costco package of sardines for dog treats.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Yesterday I received a flyer in the mail from a company that sells wild caught seafood of various kinds.  Sardines being one.  They claim Portugese sardines are superior to anything sold in grocery stores.  I thought if I were going to buy for myself, I'd like to try a couple of what they offer, no salt being one of them.

If you are curious. check out vitalchoice dot com, in the search box type Sardines and all of the options will come up.  They even offer a sampler box.

I buy the Costco package of sardines for dog treats.

@Free2be  THANKS! I'll check on it!  I spent a morning recently going through the Amazon listings for sardines and tuna!  There is really good USA caught and raised tuna available, with and without salt.  

They carry it at Whole Foods too and I stock up when I see it on sale!  I have decided that a can of really good tuna is worth more than a hamburger and soft drink at a fast food place.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Like Sardines?

[ Edited ]

NO. Sardines is on my list of the grossest foods on the planet - bacon, hot dogs, liver, ham, pork, and sausage.

Contributor

I love sardines!  I usually saute some onions in olive oil and when they are nice and carmelized I add a can of sardines to the pan and cook until heated up.  So good with some nice crusty bread. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I like them, but no one else in my family will eat them.  They aren't a food I eat on a regular basis, but I'll buy them once or twice a year.  I usually just eat mine as is.  My father-in-law used to eat them on a sandwich.  How do you eat yours @Sooner ?

@Citrine1  realize this was addressed to @Sooner , but wanted to add, like you, I eat them once in awhile.  Like you FIL, on a sandwich!

When I was a little girl, I'd ask my Dad to make me a "sarbean sandwich".

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

I like them, but no one else in my family will eat them.  They aren't a food I eat on a regular basis, but I'll buy them once or twice a year.  I usually just eat mine as is.  My father-in-law used to eat them on a sandwich.  How do you eat yours @Sooner ?

@Citrine1  realize this was addressed to @Sooner , but wanted to add, like you, I eat them once in awhile.  Like you FIL, on a sandwich!

When I was a little girl, I'd ask my Dad to make me a "sarbean sandwich".

@eddyandme @Citrine1   How do I eat them?  LOL!! Sometimes on a paper plate in front of the tv; sometimes out of the can standing over the sink; with crackers usually.  I have made a sandwich but not often.

They are good with that crispy canned whole kernal corn (sometimes eaten just as it comes out of the can) too!  That's a combo I like. 

I like them also with a dash or hot sauce, some pepper jelly, Dijon mustard, or just with more salt if they aren't salted!  If they are the really big ones, like the Ortiz ones in the jar, I'll "clean" them.

I usually eat them at lunch when my hubby isn't here!    He is appreciative.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner @eddyandme   Thanks for your responses.  I usually just eat them out of the can, but was wondering how they'd be in a salad or on a sandwich.  Maybe I'll experiment!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Sooner @eddyandme   Thanks for your responses.  I usually just eat them out of the can, but was wondering how they'd be in a salad or on a sandwich.  Maybe I'll experiment!

@Citrine1 You have made me think!  I'd think they would be great on a hamburger bun with a Caesar salad with a goodly amount of dressing!  I'd even toast the bun first in a little butter.  I think that would be outstanding!

Call it a "SEAsar" Sandwich!