Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Like Chicken Salad? What Do

My wife makes a chicken salad close to yours. She puts pecans and dried cherry. It's delicious. She wasn't sure if I would like it but she wanted to try it. First time my brother was here and he loved it to.

Honored Contributor

love chicken salad with various fruits and nuts but hold the celery

Honored Contributor

I never use canned chicken ever.  It has to cooked chicken breast.  I make my own with left over chicken or I buy Wegmans chicken salad whichis super tasty.  I do put onion & celery in it.

Honored Contributor

I can see why some are hesitant about canned chicken. I won't eat canned tuna. The canned chicken we get at Costco is chunked chicken breast, all white meat. Big chunks so you definitely see what your eating. Can't  say the same about tuna.

Honored Contributor

Mom added walnuts and grapes, cut in half.

Honored Contributor

I love the chicken salad from Fresh Market.   I add extra celery, onion at home.

Regular Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Same items as you added plus canned cranberry sauce spread on the bread.

@tobes Hot pepper jelly is good too!  Only it is never very hot it's good!   We like it a lot on turkey sandwiches too.   Even deli turkey!

Regular Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I can see why some are hesitant about canned chicken. I won't eat canned tuna. The canned chicken we get at Costco is chunked chicken breast, all white meat. Big chunks so you definitely see what your eating. Can't  say the same about tuna.

@proudlyfromNJ I buy tuna from around the Mediterranean, Spain and other places and it is SO good!  It isn't cheap, but I always say it's not as expensive as a fast food meal!  

You can find a lot of reviews on Amazon and there are so many good brands--with olive oil or water, lemon, spices, etc.  Ortiz makes good tuna, Callipo, Santa Amaro and lots of others.  I avoid all packed in Asia.  

And we use quite a big of Costco canned chicken and packs of cooked breast meat (which we keep in the freezer in smaller food saver packs).  

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  There is just nothing in this world like a great chicken salad sandwich. A bit of heaven.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

you add to your's.  DD got a couple good size chicken breasts at Wegmans yesterday.  This morning she grilled them in the Ninja.

After they cooled, I cut them in bite size pieces, added celery sliced very thin, halved some green grapes and chopped walnuts, salt and pepper.  I then added enough mayo to hold it together but not make it gloopy. 

It hit the spot for lunch. I would have added a little onion but DD thought it would be too much.  It was still good without it.  I think grilling the breasts made it better too.

What do you add to your chicken salad?

I dived right in at green grapes and walnuts-my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!  @CrazyKittyLvr2 you may feel free to serve me your chicken salad each and every time I come to your house for lunch.

But just in case YOU get tired of that combo, I'll be delighted to eat your salad with chopped lightly sweetened cranberries or coarsely chopped apple chunks, or chopped peaches or chopped pineapple or chopped mango with pecans or pistachios or almonds or......you get the idea, I'm sure.

As I said originally- A HUGE FAVORITE OF MINE!

Adding- I LOVE my sandwich on raisin bread if I don't have the time to add chopped fruit!