Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know the Measurements (INCHES) of a Whole Turkey?

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Sooner

I don't have answer but always thought I'd love my french door fridge -- you are so right the "vertical" space is terrible☹️.  The shelf height is not great.

I would never buy this style for this reason.  The shelf space is great if you have "long/wide dishes".

I have my 12 lb in my neighbors side by side.  Lucky she is a good friend & isn't coming back until January.

LOL!!!  That is so funny!!!  Is she going to come back and say "Wait a minute!  Something's been in my fridge!  Woman Surprised"  LOL!!!

Yes I agree, I'd never buy one of these again!  I never had the issues with my side by side I have had with this thing!  I am thinking one of those that has four doors and any of the sections can be a fridge or freezer.  Then I'd have one freezer section and THREE fridge sections

We have a big freezer in the garage so I don't need a big one in the house.  I can't find anything in this dumb bottom drawer one anyway.  Stuff hangs up when you try to close the door too!  

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@Sooner,

My 21.5 lb. turkey measures 13" long, 10" wide, and 8" high.  It fits in the bottom tray of a standard sized broiler pan (mine measures 12" x 15").  HTH

Bless your heart!  Now I can do some figuring and juggling before I go to the store!  I had NO idea how tall/high a turkey is!  That's the issue with this stupid fridge.  

We have valuable information here!  LOL!!  The Butterball people didn't know!  I actually called the hot line!  First time ever in 50 years of cooking turkeys! 

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
@SoonerYou might need to toss some of those condiments. I just bought a new fridge at the beginning of October. I tossed so much that I didn't even realize I had and boy were the dates crazy. Also, the physical size of a turkey depends on the one you buy. Decide on the space you have by measuring it, then find a turkey that fits. You may only have one real place to put the turkey in your fridge, but many turkeys to choose from. You may also think about doing two breasts versus a whole turkey (depends on the size of your group). You may also look at keeping it in a large cooler on ice with ziploc bags of ice on top for a few days versus the fridge. Just check the cooler and drain/replace ice as needed. If you have a spare tub, you can just keep it all in there so when you pull the plug to drain it, you have a place for the water to go quickly without lifting the cooler. Coolers are great for spare ice box space for a few days if need be.

@Tigriss  The problem is tossing out condiments is not a lot of help because I would have to take out a whole shelf maybe to get enough space.  So having the measurements or close helps because I don't have to go to the store with a tape measure, come back home, go back, and look like a fool measuring turkeys too!  LOL!!!  

We don't really have coolers either, and breasts are probably as tall almost as a turkey.  I ran into that problem once before with storing one and also the covered roaster.   But that is an option!  And coolers aren't hard to come by.  So THANKS. 

Valued Contributor

@Sooner - maybe measure your possible available spaces and write it down and take the measurements and your tape measure to the store with you?  They come in all shapes just like people.  We do our turkey on the charcoal grill and when we first started doing it my mom was so worried she had us measure the height of the grill from the grate to the top of the lid.  Then she took a measuring tape with her to the store to make sure she got a broad, flatter bird.  Now we have been doing it for so many years you can tell by just looking.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

I can't help you out with measurements but I know it would take up most of the bottom shelf in my regular, old 2 door fridge.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:
@SoonerYou might need to toss some of those condiments. I just bought a new fridge at the beginning of October. I tossed so much that I didn't even realize I had and boy were the dates crazy. Also, the physical size of a turkey depends on the one you buy. Decide on the space you have by measuring it, then find a turkey that fits. You may only have one real place to put the turkey in your fridge, but many turkeys to choose from. You may also think about doing two breasts versus a whole turkey (depends on the size of your group). You may also look at keeping it in a large cooler on ice with ziploc bags of ice on top for a few days versus the fridge. Just check the cooler and drain/replace ice as needed. If you have a spare tub, you can just keep it all in there so when you pull the plug to drain it, you have a place for the water to go quickly without lifting the cooler. Coolers are great for spare ice box space for a few days if need be.

@Tigriss  The problem is tossing out condiments is not a lot of help because I would have to take out a whole shelf maybe to get enough space.  So having the measurements or close helps because I don't have to go to the store with a tape measure, come back home, go back, and look like a fool measuring turkeys too!  LOL!!!  

We don't really have coolers either, and breasts are probably as tall almost as a turkey.  I ran into that problem once before with storing one and also the covered roaster.   But that is an option!  And coolers aren't hard to come by.  So THANKS. 

I too have a French door fridge, so I get the whole shelf issue, but casseroles do fit nicely in the shallower/narrower shelves.  I keep my eggs, wine, smaller jars, canned biscuits, beer/wine coolers, casseroles (9x13) and things there.  I do have a huge water filter dispensing jug on my main shelf where I keep my milk too.  I had to get a narrower fridge 33" wide versus the previous side by side at 35.75" just because my space was so tight to put the fridge into. I wanted more air circulation around the fridge and do like having a wider space to put things in the freezer and fridge, but I get the height problem.

It might be time to invest in a nice sized cooler.  I find I use mine much more than I thought I would especially when I go to Sam's/Costco, both of which are 1.5/2.5 hours away.  The coolers today do such a great job at retaining ice and have many models with wheels to aid in carrying it places.  

I sure hope your group thanks you for so much of your cooking.  We have a large extended family that gathers, about 24, so we divide up the cooking, so no one is doing so much.  I also carry my cooler for these trips to take and bring home leftovers in.

I do hope you find a solution to your problem.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:

I too have a French door fridge, so I get the whole shelf issue, but casseroles do fit nicely in the shallower/narrower shelves.  I keep my eggs, wine, smaller jars, canned biscuits, beer/wine coolers, casseroles (9x13) and things there.  I do have a huge water filter dispensing jug on my main shelf where I keep my milk too.  I had to get a narrower fridge 33" wide versus the previous side by side at 35.75" just because my space was so tight to put the fridge into. I wanted more air circulation around the fridge and do like having a wider space to put things in the freezer and fridge, but I get the height problem.

It might be time to invest in a nice sized cooler.  I find I use mine much more than I thought I would especially when I go to Sam's/Costco, both of which are 1.5/2.5 hours away.  The coolers today do such a great job at retaining ice and have many models with wheels to aid in carrying it places.  

I sure hope your group thanks you for so much of your cooking.  We have a large extended family that gathers, about 24, so we divide up the cooking, so no one is doing so much.  I also carry my cooler for these trips to take and bring home leftovers in.

I do hope you find a solution to your problem.

@Tigriss  It's not a group!  LOL!!!  It's me and my husband and a food saver to freeze the leftovers.  To me there's no point in cooking a smaller turkey!  There's lots of turkey pie in the offing down the road!  THANKS for the tips!

Respected Contributor

Turkey pie. That sounds good. I'll have to look that up for a recipe.
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
Turkey pie. That sounds good. I'll have to look that up for a recipe.

@Tigriss  Heathen that we are we use canned soup for the liquid--mushroom or chicken usually.  We put just a little bit of water, not too much you don't want it thin or runny,  in it to loosen it up a little and a drop or two of dry sherry to cut the sweet, all some frozen mixed veggies and the pieces of turkey meat.    Sometimes we add sauteed mushrooms too.  Or we use all frozen peas, or whatever strikes our fancy.

We almost always make homemade pie crust, but have been known to use store bought.  We put the filling in (may put some Italian seasoning in it too by the way) and assemble the pies.  

We often freeze them unbaked, then take them out later and bake at 350 until bubbling hot (put on a foil covered cookie sheet in case they run over!).