Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know About Knife Sharpeners?

@Sooner wrote:

One thing I do know is that the representative today on David's show pronounced "strop" like "hope."  It is not pronounced that way.  It is pronounced more like "hop".

Unbelievable that they don't teach the reps better than this.  

Yes, I need either that one for my Asian's and an old one I have for the German knives.  And I got it out and it does a fantastic job--but it is an old old model they don't make now. 

@Sooner, what exactly was he saying about the strop?  I know about sharpening steels (would never know how to use one though), but when I think of a strop, I'm remembering a leather strap my grandad (who was a bootleg barber) used for his razors. Not sure exactly what the leather did, but I remember that slap slap slap back and forth before using the blade.  And yes, I remember it being pronouned like "hop".

Reminds me of the spurtles they sell on the Q which look very little like the original spurtles referenced in the presentation.

Respected Contributor

I have a Chefs choice, it is simply amazing. Keeps my (old) German knives like new, takes only seconds to sharpen. I believe they make a model for the Japanese knives too. I saw it in the store a few years ago. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

German knives used to be 20 degree but Henckels have been 15 degrees for at least the last ten years. I believe Wusthof is 15 degree as well. You need to check before you do damage to your knives. I have a set of Henckel Professional “S” knives and they are all 15 degree and the newer Pro series is as well. I bought a set of Henckel Premio for my son when he went to grad school. They are not twin grade but they are 15 degree.

Honored Contributor

I do know that these knife sharpeners that we all have (be they electric or manual) just realign the kinks in the blade.  Real knife sharpening is done on a stone with either water or oil, and the entire blade is honed back into shape.  Technically, it's fine to use the little home gizmos we all have, but you're supposed to send them out to a professional (assuming you have good knives) every year or so.  Do I do this? No.  Should I? Yes.

Valued Contributor

I have a Chef's Choice, too.  I used to take my knives to the knife store until the lady who owned the store sold me Chef's Choice.  It works perfectly every time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a hand-held AccuSharp sharpener for knives. I like so much that I have gifted several of them to friends and they love it, too. They tell me all the time how much it works so well to keep their knives sharp and that they no longer use whatever they had before getting the AccuSharp. I paid $12 for one.

Top-rated AccuSharp 

31LudwUuXkL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I do know that these knife sharpeners that we all have (be they electric or manual) just realign the kinks in the blade.  Real knife sharpening is done on a stone with either water or oil, and the entire blade is honed back into shape.  Technically, it's fine to use the little home gizmos we all have, but you're supposed to send them out to a professional (assuming you have good knives) every year or so.  Do I do this? No.  Should I? Yes.

@faeriemoon No, the Chef's Choice electric sharpeners will actually grind the blade, the realign the edge and finally strop the blade.  Some of them can take a 20 degree blade and grind and hone it to a 15 degree blade.

America's Test Kitchen talked extensively about it and that electric sharpener was on QVC a week or so ago.  Some of their machines will sharpen either a 15 or 20 degree blade as well.  Some only a 20 degree blade.

They make sharpeners for use in professional kitchens and for home use too.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

One thing I do know is that the representative today on David's show pronounced "strop" like "hope."  It is not pronounced that way.  It is pronounced more like "hop".

Unbelievable that they don't teach the reps better than this.  

Yes, I need either that one for my Asian's and an old one I have for the German knives.  And I got it out and it does a fantastic job--but it is an old old model they don't make now. 

@Sooner, what exactly was he saying about the strop?  I know about sharpening steels (would never know how to use one though), but when I think of a strop, I'm remembering a leather strap my grandad (who was a bootleg barber) used for his razors. Not sure exactly what the leather did, but I remember that slap slap slap back and forth before using the blade.  And yes, I remember it being pronouned like "hop".

Reminds me of the spurtles they sell on the Q which look very little like the original spurtles referenced in the presentation.

@Icegoddess As I understand it, the last blades on the shapeners do what they strop of the olden days did.  It really refines and super polishes the edge and that's what makes the knives REALLY razor sharp. And it seems to work really well on those electric sharpeners--even my old one!

Honored Contributor

I have a manual as well as an electric sharpener.  I just need to use them    Makes a big difference when I do. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon No, the Chef's Choice electric sharpeners will actually grind the blade, the realign the edge and finally strop the blade.  Some of them can take a 20 degree blade and grind and hone it to a 15 degree blade.

America's Test Kitchen talked extensively about it and that electric sharpener was on QVC a week or so ago.  Some of their machines will sharpen either a 15 or 20 degree blade as well.  Some only a 20 degree blade.

They make sharpeners for use in professional kitchens and for home use too.

Yes, I have one.  But it isn't as good as the stone/oil/water method.