Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Ir Your DH Have An Issue With Leftovers?

Wow!  No leftovers, only fresh, no canned or frozen, that is totally on another planet from mine.  I'd had to have a NASA space telescope to even see that one from where I Iive!  And I love beef roast so much I'd cook one for me and freeze the leftovers for me!  Woman Very Happy

Can't imagine no LeSueur canned green beans!Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

We love leftovers!  

There are foods we would never eat without using up the leftovers in the fridge, such as vegetable soup, beef stew, potato pancakes.  

I have never in my 47 years of marriage, cooked a beef or pork roast just for the purpose of making soup, stew or bbq; they are only made with leftovers, period.   My husband only gets salmon patties when I have a dab of mashed potatoes left over, since he doesn't like them made with breadcrumbs.

Respected Contributor

My husband likes leftovers but I do not.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

I have never used mashed potatoes in salmon patties.  To 1 can of salmon, I break up 4 saltine crackers for a more firm texture.

Frequent Contributor

Love, Love, Love Thanksgiving leftovers!  And there are a few others we eat.  Especially soup and chili.

Honored Contributor

@DeeJoyce wrote:

Love, Love, Love Thanksgiving leftovers!  And there are a few others we eat.  Especially soup and chili.

@DeeJoyce 

YUM!!!  Add spaghetti sauce and pot roast!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Just me - supper/dinner -  generally make enough for  three nights.  

That was my routine when I was working ... continued t when I retired.

Cook one day .... reheat two days.  I'm enjoying last night's curried beef stew.

Trusted Contributor

I loved my mother's lasagne and meatloaf! And we always said they tasted better the next day after the flavors had more time to meld.

Cooking for myself, I don't generally have leftovers. I'm a creature of whim so I'll make what I'm in the mood for and it's always something simple. When I prepared meals for my father I'd purposefully make a pork roast or a batch of something and portion it into freezer storage bags, but I guess that's different. I'm not the cook my mother was, and once in a while he'd let me know (in a kind way) that he wanted something different.

Are men more difficult to please this way than women, who traditionally are more the ones to prepare the meals?

Respected Contributor

what is the difference between a left over and cook ahead?

for some they need to do the pies or some of the sides day before in order to get it all cooked for the holiday meal.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

No issues are our house.  My husband would go to bed hungry if he didn't like left overs...either we eat what is left a few days later or the food is frozen for later use.

If he didn't eat them, then we would be eating out at his expense.  I refuse to throw food away.