Regular Contributor

Do You Have or Have You Ever Had A Granite Ware Roaster?

We had one when I was growing up and I had one when first married.  My mom cooked so many turkeys in that thing!  And they were wonderful.

I also had a little white checked pot with red and white checks along the bottom that I boiled a zillion chickens when we were in college and money was really tight:  Chickens and soup and Betty Crocker Stir-n-roll home made pizzas!  And tuna casserole!  

Mom's old roaster was blue and white and held some pretty big turkeys and a lot of roasts.  It's a fond memory. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have or Have You Ever Had A Granite Ware Roaster?

@SoonerLater Yes, indeed! I use the larger blue with white speckles Granite Ware roaster to cook my turkey or large hams. I have never used anything else. Through the years I have had to replace it a couple of times. I also have one in a smaller size that I use to cook a turkey breast or a roast.

You'll understand how large my turkey was last year. It was a substitution for size which I requested as long as it was a Butterball. It weighed either 26 or 28 pounds. The turkey was so large it was not on the Butterball cooking chart I have in my recipe file. It would not fit down into the roaster. That blue and white guy got quite the workout. That is a lot of turkey for 2 people.

Regular Contributor

@On It wrote:

@SoonerLater Yes, indeed! I use the larger blue with white speckles Granite Ware roaster to cook my turkey or large hams. I have never used anything else. Through the years I have had to replace it a couple of times. I also have one in a smaller size that I use to cook a turkey breast or a roast.

You'll understand how large my turkey was last year. It was a substitution for size which I requested as long as it was a Butterball. It weighed either 26 or 28 pounds. The turkey was so large it was not on the Butterball cooking chart I have in my recipe file. It would not fit down into the roaster. That blue and white guy got quite the workout. That is a lot of turkey for 2 people.

@On It Good grief girl!  Are thawing that out again this year?  That is a BIG bird!  (Maybe it WAS Big Bird Woman Surprised!)

My mom cooked one about 22 pounds once and said nope, not doing that!  You just gotta shove it in the oven and cook 'er til it gives up! 

Regular Contributor

My mother had one and I also have a large blue and white granite roaster. In addition to turkey roasting I actually bathed a sitting baby in it on my kitchen counter....just put a nice soft towel in the bottom!  I also have a small roaster for chicken and found a round granite roaster in an antique store a few years ago. I use that for oven stews.They all feel so homey when i use them.

Respected Contributor

My mother always cooked her turkey in one.  When I was married, she gave me this tiny one....for a small whole chicken.  I had a bread recipe with 8-10 cups of flour and I used to bake the bread in the roaster. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have a blue and white speckled one and take it out once a year to cook the turkey.  I inherited my grandmother's old turkey roaster and used it for many years, but at some point I decided to replace it with the granite ware.  I've been very happy with it.

ETA I originally read your title as "granite rooster" and was trying to picture what a granite rooster might be lol.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

I still have my Mom's large size roaster although it is too big for 3 of us.  We had eight in our family growing up so the need for a large roaster was there.  Turkeys, baked hams, large leg of lamb, yum.  We lived in a city apartment with a black coal stove in the kitchen.  That stove provided heat and cooking for us and was impeccably cleaned and shined weekly.  Because the oven size was rather small,as were many in the neighborhood, the bakeries would open up on holidays and they would bake our turkeys etc. and you had to reserve your time slot.  We had to just get it there and pick it up.  I had four older brothers who had the job of taking the roaster to the bakery (Mom/Dad would wrap roaster with towels and blankets and put it in a wagon and off they went.  Lucky for us the dinner always came home safely and the boys did a great job.  Of course Mom gave explicit directions and I don't believe it ever tipped over on the 6 block walk.

Respected Contributor

@SoonerLater 

Yes, I have the big blue roaster and smaller round one. I've had mine since we got married.48 years ago. Lots of turkey has been cooked in there and also big hams. The smaller one I use for baked beans, stuffing and hot dishes. Everything cooks very good in those old roasters. 

Honored Contributor

I have a small granite roaster that I have had since I've been married.  I used to use it a lot, but never for roasting meat.  It's great for making stuffed peppers.

I always cook my turkey, chickens and other meats  in an aluminum roaster.  I like it so much better than the granite roaster.  Everything turns out moist and I never need to add liquid.

Esteemed Contributor

I had one but didn"t use it ofen. Looked brand new.

I gave it to a young newlywed neighbor who was thrilled to have it!