Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Favorite Hamburger Dill Chip Pickle?

@Mz iMac wrote:

The best dill pickles are the Jewish dills in the wooden barrels w/dead flies floating around in the liquid!

Vlasic comes in a close 2nd.

@Mz iMac 

Woman Tongue
Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I love Claussen's pickles in the fridge section.  The pickles in the barrel were the best haven't seen them in years. 

@sissel I have never seen one! 

Respected Contributor

I grew up in the Phila area, big barrel use tongs to fish out the pickles at the local Mom & Pop deli put it in a wax coated paperbag, ate the pickle on the way home with the juice dripping all over, smelt like a pickle the whole day but so fun to walk there with my friends memories can't find that any more. Claussens to me is the closest to the taste. Guess unsanitary now.

Honored Contributor

Grew up eating pickles canned from cucumbers we grew in the garden. I'm not fussy about dill pickles although I don't care for sweet pickles.

Honored Contributor

I'm actually not a big pickle fan, and we only had them in things like tuna and chicken salad and on sandwiches--burgers mostly.

I do like some sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, and things like Dave's spicy ones, but just as far as eating a pickle?  OH no!  LOL!!!!  

That's why I like Best Maid because some of theirs are sliced really thin.  I think it depends on if you grew up with them and is sort of a regional or cultural taste.  It's like if you like your cornbread with or without sugar!  Now there's a debate! 

I love to learn about what other people like on the table.

Honored Contributor

Whatever is the one used on "Whataburgers".  Best Maid is good but for home pickles I only buy the hot bread and butter made by local grocery store.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Maybe the dead flies are the secret to a good pickle.  We actually have stores that don't carry ANY dill chips, what is that about?  Then when I do find one its ruffled and too thick, like the potato chip.  Give me thin dilly slices.  Now I'm on a pilgrimage, thanks for bringing this up.  

Esteemed Contributor

I normally use Bread & Butter pickles on my burgers and Mt. Olive is my favorite brand.  I've heard great things about Sechler's pickles but I think it's a regional brand in my area.  Years ago, they were olnly sold for fund raisers but I've seen them in my local grocery store. I've yet to try them.

My friend/co-worker and his wife make and can their own Dill Pickle Spears.  They grow everything themselves....cukes, garlic, dill.  They normally give me a couple of cans because they know I love pickles.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Growing up we had a huge garden which not only sustained us but neighbors and family.

My moter sed to make bread and butter pickles - they were the bestest!  Boy, do I miss eating bread and butter pickle sandwiches - YUM!

She also made the best piccalili(sp?).  No matter which brand I try, it doesn't come close.

Trusted Contributor

I usually go with vlassic, very good in any form. I also like Bestmaid and some from Spring Market, a local grocer. 

Lately we have been searching for the pickles they use on the Popeye's chicken sandwiches, so good!

Now I will have to go eat a pickle. Smiley Happy