Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Favorite Hamburger Dill Chip Pickle?

@Mz iMac - You sure brought back memories of my childhood.

My Mom and I would go to the jewish deli to get our deli meats, hot dogs, salads and of course our pickles in the wooden barrels.

They had 3 barrels - one for "done" dill pickles, one for half done pickles (my favorite) and one for pickles green tomatoes.  Don't remember any flies floating around.  Thanks for the memories!

Trusted Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain - I agree with you about Mt. Olive bread & butter pickles.  It's the only brandI will buy.

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain - I agree with you about Mt. Olive bread & butter pickles.  It's the only brandI will buy.

@WORKING GAL I will get those next!  There is one brand, don't know which, where the pickles are bright green and have an almost medicinal test.  They are awful! 

The people who judge bread and butter pickles at the county fair won't rank them highly unless they are green.  They aren't supposed to be green!  What is wrong with those women?  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I grew up in the Phila area, big barrel use tongs to fish out the pickles at the local Mom & Pop deli put it in a wax coated paperbag, ate the pickle on the way home with the juice dripping all over, smelt like a pickle the whole day but so fun to walk there with my friends memories can't find that any more. Claussens to me is the closest to the taste. Guess unsanitary now.

The deli around the corner still has the barrel of pickles. And yes we buy them regularly when we are getting our Italian hoagies.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope, I hate dill pickles and do not eat them (unless it's by mistake).  I had rather have my mother's home made sweet pickles.  She made bread and butter pickles and one other sweet kind of pickles..   They were so good.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner They have pickle chips at Kroger that are called "Fast Food Pickles" and they are just right in tang and thin ness, not those narly old ends of the cucumber. But with the stores the way they are around here they might be hard to find. My husband shops for us and either idems are gone or something is of a new or different brand. 

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@Sooner They have pickle chips at Kroger that are called "Fast Food Pickles" and they are just right in tang and thin ness, not those narly old ends of the cucumber. But with the stores the way they are around here they might be hard to find. My husband shops for us and either idems are gone or something is of a new or different brand. 

@BeccaLou We don't have a Kroger anywhere near us.  Oklahoma has had a severe lack of big store chains because until a year or so ago they could not ell alcohol.  Just when things might have changed the virus hit.

So, we are still lacking in variety in groceries!  Thanks though, if I ever see a Kroger!  Back about WW2 my uncle managed in Arkansas.  But no more Kroger here!