Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Vegetable Garden?

No, but I have several gorgeous seed packets.

Valued Contributor

First off-what is a truck patch?

I do finally have a garden this year. I moved about 9 years ago or so. I have no back yard (literally, my garage is a few feet from my back deck. I live in a townhome, and the back is parking and garages). I only have a small front yard which is too shady. I Finally found some raised garden beds (8' x 2') and are exactly what I have been looking for since I moved to this place. I have a very small side yard along the driveway on my part of the property. Only have a few tomatoes and some cukes as I didn't get the beds til late June and planted my stuff July 3rd. The produce is doing pretty good. Just bought another garden bed so I will have more space next year.

I love to can salsa. At my former home, I would get so many tomatoes from my few plants that I would can anywhere from about 80+ pints to over 120+ pints every year. My family loves it. Excited for next year and hopefully enough tomatoes to make my salsa!

cookin

Super Contributor

You would not be in the minority where I live. We increased our gardening this year and I learned to can and dehydrate vegtables. I am really enjoying it. Just this afternoon I got more potatoes. We have five garden beds, some containers and an herb garden.

When the shortages started  in March and we saw how fragile our food supply chain is we felt we needed to do this. It has saved on groceries and we hope to do more next year. I have put up salsa soups and vegtables for the winter. You tube videos were a big help in my learning. I was at the grocery store this morning and though its better its obvious that canned goods are in short supply. I have been learning to save seeds as even in some states they were difficult to get. My grandparents gardened to survive and I sure wish I had learned more from them.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Garden yes. And a fruit orchard with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples, pears, grapes and sometimes peaches. 

My husband grew up in a family that was poor, and they often lived out in the country. If they didn't have a couple of acres of garden, they wouldn't have had much to eat. So, we still carry that on, but on a much smaller scale. 

It is money and work, that is for sure. If it were left up to me, I wouldn't do it anymore, it's just too much work for me alone, but husband enjoys it and so we continue. 

I can beans, beets, apple sauce, apple butter, pears salsa, sometimes tomato products. I freeze corn, onions, zucchini, summer squash and blueberries. We press and freeze a lot of apple cider and pear cider. I bake with a lot of the zucchini and freeze those things. 

An average year, we grow at least 8 different varieties of tomatoes, potatoes, corn, beans, beets, onions, carrots, bell peppers, hot peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, peas, zucchini, summer squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, sometimes pumpkins,and anything else my husband can think of! LOL

Respected Contributor

LOL.  A 100 yrs. ago decided to plant a garden along the back of our beige two car garage facing southwest.

Dug up the sod about 3 ft. wide, then proceeded to double-dig manure into the soil.  If 2 tomato plants are good, why not six?  Heck let's add in 6 green peppers, too!

This garden was so prolific, I was drowning in both.  Although I'd once canned tomatoes with mom, I went the route of blanching the skins off and freezing.  Had a lot of chili, pasta sauce and soups that fall & winter.

Planted daffodils and daylillies the next year.

Denise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

yup , or at least a yarden. Always have just about any place I have lived. I must grow 'maters' I am a Hoosier.

Unfortunatley so are the squirrels , possum , & racoons . I think some of them are cayenne pepper aficionados !

I love it when I have a bumper crop of veggies to share with neighbors. On a good year I have had people stop and ask if they could buy some collard greens. I told them no, but I would share with them. I made a friend.

Valued Contributor

Sounds like us except I think I am addicted to canning.  lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course! We have for decades.  Love gardening in general, but growing your own food is especially rewarding.  Knowing how it is grown, no pesticide use or forced ripening, so much better. This year we grew, lettuces, radishes, onions, leeks, chives, cukes, carrots, potatoes, pumpkins, butternut squash, eggplant, peppers, peas, tomatoes, Rhubarb, Quince and blueberries. My husband also has grown 2 raised beds of herbs he uses when he cooks. We also go to pick-your-own farms for seasonal fruits. I enjoy canning, freezing and dehydrating our produce. Our pantry is always well stocked.

Regular Contributor

Purple bell pepperI grew a few vegetables in pots- was able to grow cherry tomatoes , zucchini, got mostly zucchini flowers which were nice and this cute pepper. My cucumbers almost all grew round and yellowish- they were supposed to be kirby, but perhaps pots were mislabeled? I did get tons of pretty yellow cucumber flowers. The bees loved everything tho!!!! . 

Honored Contributor

I have a garden with herbs and veggies, but this year I planted less than normal. We have a deer problem.  They eat and ruin everything.

We even have to spray our foundation plants out front every week, because they eat them too. We wrap them in burlap all winter long.

They used to be cute and fun to watch...not anymore.