Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Real Bakery Near You?

@ECBG yes a wonderful Italian family bakery

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a nice bakery right near the church we attend.  We enjoy stopping in and picking up a few treats most Sundays. I usually get one of those large cookies with the dollop of chocolate in the middle.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla 

Fritz"s sticky buns are the BEST!!!! I haven't had them in a long time, but I may need to take a ride to Bensalem soon. (I am in Montco now). I used to live right next door to Rillings (Davisville Shopping Center). They were very good, but I kind of liked Weinrich's in Willow Grove better. My wedding cake was from Weinrich's. 

Honored Contributor

No but a family friend once owned a bakery. Thankfully it was in another state lol. They gave my kids tons of Christmas cookies when they were little. They were so good!

Respected Contributor

No but I sure wish we did!  We had a great one and sadly it closed more than 15 years ago.  We have a Dunkin Donuts and a Cupcake Shop about 10 minutes away.  The Sweet Spot Cupcake Shop won Cupcake Wars on the Food Network, but they only sell cupcakes!

Honored Contributor

As opposed to a fake bakery? Yes, there are bakeries in newer and older areas of town, plus all the grocery stores have pretty good bakeries.

Honored Contributor

We have a wonderful old fashioned bakery in the town next to us. But, during the summer months only on Fridays and Saturdays there is an Amish family that opens up a segment of their house as a bakery. Oh my goodness everything is so delicious. They don't advertise, its just by word of mouth that their name gets around. People line up down the road early in the morning! They are so friendly and their little children are so polite. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We only have one independent bakery in town. In recent years their quality has gone down. I think it's because there is so much competition from the bakeries and grocery stores, and they don't have enough turnover in merchandise. Bakery products need to be really fresh.

We have a lot of chain bakeries/cafes, like Paradise Cafe, Corner Bakery, La Madelleine. They're all good, if predictable.   

We also like a new one called 85 Degrees. It's based in Taiwan, and expanding in the U.S. Some of their pastries are Asian specialities, and others are what you would expect in a traditional American bakery. We like it because the pastries are made fresh every day,and they stay open late.

Honored Contributor

Have three...one Italian, one German, and one that sells Italian, German, French, English, Polish, Hungarian, and American breads and goodies within 2 - 4 miles of my house.  

We also have a grocery store that has an excellent bakery specializing in European and American.

We're fortunate because we don't live in a city.   

Trusted Contributor

Several bakeries in the San Diego area.  Artisan bakeries, Italian in Little Italy, other specialty bakeries.  

I live about 5 blocks from an “artisan” bakery.  They also have cafe service.   We get our Batards and Baguettes there, and the best Challah on Friday; muffins, croissants and almond croissants.

Then there are the treats including eclairs, opera cake, tartes and macarons! 

There is a dessert bakery with luscious cakes and pastries about a 30 min walk away.  

My current favourite cookies are from the Jewish deli:  Apricot Hammantaschen and a cooky with a layer of marzipan in the dough and the apricot preserves on top.  Thank goodness it is not walking distance!