Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Real Bakery Near You?

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@drizzellla 

Fritz"s sticky buns are the BEST!!!! I haven't had them in a long time, but I may need to take a ride to Bensalem soon. (I am in Montco now). I used to live right next door to Rillings (Davisville Shopping Center). They were very good, but I kind of liked Weinrich's in Willow Grove better. My wedding cake was from Weinrich's. 

I know we would be a regular customer of Weinrich's, if we lived closer to Willow Grove Mall. We did shop there many years ago because we lived closer to the bakery. And we used to go to Crown Pizza all the time. 

Esteemed Contributor

We used to have a locally-owned bakery in the small town where I grew up (and still live).  However, they retired years ago so it closed.  There are two locally-owned bakeries (along with homemade candies & a sandwich/soup shop) in a much larger city about 15 miles from where I live.  Same bakery; two locations.  I'm not much on sweets anyway so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me whether there is one close by or not. 

Everybody raves about the two bakeries I mentioned above but several years ago, my good friends got a birthday cake for their daughter from there.  It was extremely dry and tasteless.  Several people commented on it including my friends (the hosts) at the party.  Everyone seems to love this business's doughnuts so maybe cakes aren't their  forte. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

My local area has not had a successful bakery since the early 80’s, when THE only one in town closed after 35+ years.   Any native of this area has a favorite pastry that drew them to that tiny store on Main Street.

What that family turned out 6 days a week in that tiny space was amazing!   I went there for their cream horns; my husband loved their doughnuts, so of course our wedding cake came from there.   My MIL and one of her sisters were frequent customers ordering dozens of yeast rolls and pies for big family gatherings.   

In the last few years, a couple of people have tried their hand at new businesses, but have not been successful.   Their concentration has mainly been cupcakes and cookies, and that hasn’t been of much interest to local residents.   

Honored Contributor

We are within *aroma* distance of a popular bakery known especially for their sticky buns.  And a little bike ride to the boardwalk to stand in a loooong line for donuts on the boardwalk.

Luckily, I don't eat sticky buns or donuts.

Honored Contributor

I am on the West Coast and we have several bakeries available to us although my favorite one did just close because of high rent.  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@house_cat Do you have anything like the Fresh Market?  They're the top quality luxury grocery store.  

We have pretty much every high-end grocery store possible, but they still are not like the mom/pop bakeries back east.  My friend still goes to my favorite bakery in NY and sends me a photo every time, just because she knows how much I miss it.

@house_cat 

Now I am missing Gelsons.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

Gelson's is good, so is Porto's and there are others, but they still don't compare to the mom and pop shops.  We often go to Brent's in Northridge, it's a Jewish deli and they sell black and white cookies, marbled rye and challah bread that is almost as good as NY.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I was born in Pasadena and grew up in Orange County but I now live in the PNW and I really miss Jewish deli's with real bagels, etc.  I know you had many more in NY.  I also miss fresh tortillas.  

Esteemed Contributor

I live about 15 minutes away from the original Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, NJ.  That's the bakery featured on "Cake Boss".    They make some really good cakes and pastries.  But they discontinued my favorite Apple Crumb cake years ago.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Long Island and NY are synonymous with bakeries.  Although not every town has one, you only have to travel a short distance before you find a good one.  Most are German and Italian bakeries, but a few French and Latino ones have cropped up in recent years.  Most have been around for decades and still do a booming business.  LIers love their cakes and pastries.  Those who have favorites will travel from one end of the Island to the other just to get to their fave.  I frequent one in the town where I grew up and is still owned by my friend and her family.  Cakes to die for.  A good reason to love NY.