Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Real Bakery Near You?

Yes, we do.  More than one in our town Village.  A couple of Italian bakeries, a Greek bakery, a regular bakery, the grocery store has a nice bakery and there is a donut shop.  There's also shop that sells all types of homemade breads and rolls and homemade soups.   

Esteemed Contributor

i grew up in a town that had wonderful bakeries....in 1976 i moved to a town...still live in same town....where no one knows what a bakery is.......i travel 25 minutes to get to my favorite bakery.....i have a lot of respect for bakery owners and workers.....

Honored Contributor

No I don't, the bakeries went by the wayside when people stopped eating carbs and sugar.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used to have a really nice little independent bakery nearby.  Sadly they closed.  Extra sad was because they originally opened up in place of another bakery that closed. So no more bakery....   Per the culprit is people being more health conscious.   Yet they opened up yet another Dunkin Donuts at our campus.  The irony!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Real Bakery Near You?sest

Closest one is about 9 blocks.  German bakery.  They make the best Black Forest Cake.  A little further but still walkable distance is the Little Italy section of NYC ... lots great bakeries.  In NYC you can find a lot of "ethnic" bakeries.

We do have an artisan bread bakery about a block away.  I'm a "bread lover' ... give me some butter or olive oil and a loaf of "good" bread - glass of wine ... Nirvana!

Honored Contributor

I don't think we even have one here in my town unless you consider a tortilla factory.  It's probably a good thing as it would be my undoing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The one three minutes from my office downtown celebrated their 70th same location.  I love it but the prices have really gone up since Mom would take us in for a gingerbread man.  All my birthday cakes came from that shop, now I buy for my grandchildren.  I stopped there on the way to the hospital when my first grandchild was born to get a gingerbread man and woman for my son and dil.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  Not close by. When I lived in Torrance, California, there was a wonderful bakery on Sepulveda near Hawthorne Blvd. They had the BEST scones and my DH loved their chocolate chip cookies.

They also made rum balls almost year round and they were YUMMY!

Sadly, I went to make a goody run one day and there was a sign in the window that they had been forced to close. Turns out one of the partners had taken half of bank account and left a note that he was "outta here."

I felt so sorry for the other partner, he was often at the shop and was sooo nice. Boy I miss that place and it's been gone for years. And the brownies were the world's best ever. Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

We have two within a twenty mile radius. Wait three! 🤣🤣 Prantls, Moios and the most famous in Pgh Oakmont Bakery. Hitting Prantls Saturday. Best Almond Torte in the Burg. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

No! And it makes me nuts! I was born and raised in NYC and there was almost literally a bakery on every corner - awesome bakeries - German, Italian, Kosher... you name it.  Here in California, at least where I live, there are almost none.  We have wonderful donut stores everywhere, but very few bakeries. It's one of the reasons I learned to bake so well.

~ house cat ~