Honored Contributor

Do You Have A Real Bakery Near You?

We used to have the most awesome bakery here.  It was owned by the daughter of the baker that had been here all of my life and he had a huge business. She had to close because of a $1,000 rise in her space in a small strip mall. 

I don't like most deli bakery items.  We did, finally, get a bakery case in our Fresh Market location.  The origonal FM across town had a huge bakery .  The store was surrounded by terrible traffic.

About three years ago, I became aware of a wonderful old fashioned bakery in a town about 20 minutes away.  Heaven!

Five cases of beautiful items!

Related image

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Real Bakery Near You?

We have a Fench bakery about a mile and a half from us!  We are fortunate for where we live.

Honored Contributor

We have a great one nearby.  I only utilize it a couple of times a year, otherwise it's jut too tempting.  However when I do use it, it's for a holiday and it's not unusual for there to be a line out the door and up the walkway.  But it's so worth it.  At holiday time, if you want their Parkerhouse rolls, you usually have to order them in advance, or get there very, very, very early in the day.

Respected Contributor

We have tons of bakeries.  I live in a  city with a lot of different ethnicities.  We are lucky enought to have many specialty bakeries and restaurants.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we do.  Fortunately, about 20 minutes away, we have an Italian bakery with pastry to die for.  Glad it is not closer, as we both watch our weight!  We always order a big tray of assorted Italian cookies for Christmas, however.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I am fortunate enough to have a couple dozen really great bakeries within about a 20-mile radius of my home. It's fantastic to have so many good choices!

Esteemed Contributor

Near us, no.  However DD works in a city with several and she hits one whenever one of us needs sugar fix.  We try to keep it to once a month.

In the town where I used to work there is a place that does handmade chocolates and candy.  That is one place I love but rarely visited.  You don't know what to look at first.  I want one of those, and 2 of that one,  etc   It's pricey but worth every calorie.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes,several. My favorite is owned by a guy from Italy.He does all the baking.His son & daughter are in the front selling & taking orders.

He’s been there for about 15 years. I’ve never tasted anything that compares to his breads,pastries,pies & cakes.

My friends always request that I bring dessert when I visit!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We still have a few family owned bakeries in my city. Since the grocery stores started baking & selling their own baked goods, the family bakeries don’t have as many locations as they used to. When I was a child we could walk just a few blocks to our neighborhood bakery. It was always a treat to get something there. That store closed years ago. They have another location a few miles away from where I live now. I just don’t go there very often anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Sadly a few bakeries in our neighborhood have closed. But we still have Fritz's Bakery and Rillings Bakeries. Both are excellent, I guess that is why they are still in business.