Honored Contributor

Do You Have A Fav Fresh Green Bean???

I remember my grandmother talking about "greasy cut shorts".  All I knew was I loved green beans and would have loved to have them every day, especially with summer tomatoes.  I love the green part, but not the little beans.  I dislike dried beans as well.  

Our grocery store used to carry "pole beans" which have a fantastic flavor and a lot of the green part.  Now, they are hard to find here.

When lucky, I can find pole beans at the farmer's market.

Green Beans: Planting and Growing Pole and Bush Beans | The Old Farmer's  Almanac

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Fav Fresh Green Bean???

@ECBG wrote:

I remember my grandmother talking about "greasy cut shorts".  All I knew was I loved green beans and would have loved to have them every day, especially with summer tomatoes.  I love the green part, but not the little beans.  I dislike dried beans as well.  

Our grocery store used to carry "pole beans" which have a fantastic flavor and a lot of the green part.  Now, they are hard to find here.

When lucky, I can find pole beans at the farmer's market.

Green Beans: Planting and Growing Pole and Bush Beans | The Old Farmer's  Almanac

So do you scrape the beans out prior to cooking them? I too, dislike beans.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandmother grew Kentucky Wonder pole beans and they were strong flavored and needed a lot of cooking with some ham in them. But they were so good.

Now, I really like Le Sueur green beans in a can.  Outside of summer they are my number one choice--and easy! 

Had to edit because my brain and my fingers aren't playing well together today!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@willomenia 

No, I leave the beans in, rather than break the whole bean open.  DH likes beans, and DS, DiLove, and our 2 GS will eat them.  It takes long enough to string and break about 5 lbs!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

My grandmother grew Kentucky Wonder pole beans and they were strong flavored and needed a lot of cooking with some ham in them. But they were so good.

Now, I really like Le Seuer green beans in a can.  Outside of summer they are my number one choice--and easy! 

@Sooner 

YUM!!!  We're twins, again!!!

I do prefer frozen french cut beans when I get into a "fix" to canned.  I can always taste the can.

Honored Contributor

Not twins for sure.  I'm not a fan of frozen green beans.  I like the flat italian canned green beans and the Le Sueur ones--and the LS by a long shot!  

I like frozen green peas and corn.  Especially corn.  And those tiny little onions to go in stews.

Honored Contributor

Kentucky Wonders and Blue Lake are my favorites.  We also grew a variety of Burpee bush beans that had no strings.   

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Here in my corner of SE PA, fresh green beans mean string beans. That means bush beans. When I was growing up it was Blue Lake Bush. Then they went through a crop failure and now there are other hybrids. They are best sauteed with some butter and salt.

Frequent Contributor

We have always grown White Half Runners for canning. They are less stringy, but hold up to canning and cooking.
These are the only ones my grandparents ever grew on their farm. Nice flavor and texture.
Respected Contributor

We do not like fresh green beans that have started forming the bean seed. Growing up on the farm where we planted large plots of green beans, we picked and ate them in the tender stage. The closest thing I can find commercially is Del Monte Whole green beans. They must be whole because the youngest, most tender ones are used for that category. Open the can.  Drain the liquid. Rinse the beans and drain the rinse liquid twice. Fill the can with fresh water, put into sauce pan, and cook with your favorite seasonings.

The best tasting green beans I have ever eaten are pinto beans. The beans (pods) are gathered while they are still young and completely flat before the seed (bean) has had time to form. I have never seen them available except in our gardens. Italian beans from Del Monte have a similar taste but must be rinsed to removed the canned taste.