Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Cook Side Dishes Ahead?

@panda1234 ....Her dad called her when we realized she was running late.  She was bringing a guest and had to go pick him up!!! Which was 45 miles from the house...she does not plan well, sigh.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@panda1234 ....Her dad called her when we realized she was running late.  She was bringing a guest and had to go pick him up!!! Which was 45 miles from the house...she does not plan well, sigh.

@Mom2Dogs How stressful for you getting everything to come out at the same time with a guest coming too. Hope you could relax on Black Friday. 

Respected Contributor

@ULY wrote:

Tackling as much prep as possible ahead of time always makes things easier. I tend to make my liver pudding, cheesecake, etc.., a day ahead of time not only for the ease it makes on the day of the event but in the case something goes wrong you have time to enact plan B.

@ULY, I am curious about the liver pudding as a side dish. How did it become part of your Thanksgiving and how do you make it?  My mom made it when we were young but it wasn't a Thanksgiving side. It was enjoyed even by liver haters. LOL.

Regular Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@ULY wrote:

Tackling as much prep as possible ahead of time always makes things easier. I tend to make my liver pudding, cheesecake, etc.., a day ahead of time not only for the ease it makes on the day of the event but in the case something goes wrong you have time to enact plan B.

@ULY, I am curious about the liver pudding as a side dish. How did it become part of your Thanksgiving and how do you make it?  My mom made it when we were young but it wasn't a Thanksgiving side. It was enjoyed even by liver haters. LOL.

I really don't know. The only possibility is from all the years of eating and enjoying the livers of the turkey or chicken and then wondering why only one came in each bird.....anatomy aside.

I improved upon a basic saltine cracker stuffing (including bread of course) by adding a sizeable mirepoix (more celery 2-1 ratio) along with one or two containers (1lbs a piece) of chicken livers along with stock, beaten eggs and spices. Although it may not be the typical UK pudding I enjoy using that term as it gets mixed into a thick almost batter like consistency then baked. The taste is acquired but I don't think non liver eaters would know what exactly it is.