Super Contributor

Re: Do You Cook Side Dishes Ahead?

Made rolls yesterday, slightly undercooked.  Will run through oven when turkey comes out, brown them and serve.  Pies always made the day before.  Oyster stuffing made and marrying in the refrigerator.  Will cook tomorrow in the bird and extra in a separate pan.

One daughter bringing sweet potatoes, one bringing mashed potatoes and a chocolate dessert, and a granddaughter bringing green bean casserole.  I'll make gravy when turkey is out of oven.  Fruit salad partially made.  Will finish tomorrow.

Four bottles of wine cooling.  Tomorrow will be an easy day, but sad with only 6 of us instead of the usual 24-28.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu 

No I don't except for the pies which I prefer to set over night.

I prefer everything fresh and have personally felt that amount of food can't be revived to "best flavor" by reheating.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Today I roasted the turkey...it's cut and in the fridge for reheating.

I have made the cranberry recipe as well as the stuffing.  

Tomorrow I will make the green bean casserole.  Potatoes as well in the morning.  I did buy a frozen sweet potatoe dish, I am the only one that eats sweet potatoes.

I am thrilled to have the big mess out of the way, tomorrow will be easy.

@Mom2Dogs   I do the turkey the day before too. I cover mine in chicken stock after it is sliced and reheat. Such a time saver and the meat is moist.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 ...yesterday was a breeze, except for my step daughter was 30 minutes late....sigh.

Respected Contributor

I made the bone in turkey breast and stuffing, Wednesday evening.  Made the mashed potatoes and veggie fresh on Thursday.  Brown and serve rolls and store bought pie and pumpkin roll.  I do put broth on the turkey while reheating.  Easy day.  Cover and reheat the stuffing, all was good.  Leftovers today, then turkey noodle soup or a possible pot pie for the freezer.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I make my pies, cookies, etc. the morning before. The night before, I make the mashed potatoes and put them in a casserole. I make the baked corn and put that in a casserole. Make the gravy and it goes into the fridge. I chop enough onions, carrots, and celery for the dressing, for the turkey, and anything else I may need onions, carrots, and celery to use and that goes into the fridge. Cubes of butternut squash and sweet potatoes go into the fridge. I make the cornbread for the stuffing and then cube it and set it out to dry a bit. The turkey brines overnight in a ton of ice, veggie broth, water, and aromatics.

On Thanksgiving, all I need to do is put the stuffing in the crock pot (with all the sauteed sausage and apples), put the turkey in the Nesco and then, closer to dinner, put my sides dishes in my ovens at the correct temps and set timers. Heat the gravy and add any turkey juices that it might need. It works out very well and I'm not running around the kitchen, trying to mash potatoes and make gravy at the last minute.

So far, nobody in my family has EVER complained about reheated food. What they have noticed is that nobody is running around, trying to get everything done at the same time. And I can actually sit with my family and friends and enjoy a glass of wine, too, while the sides are heating.

For me? It works. Depending on what we're having for Christmas dinner, I'll do the same thing. 

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72  I'm with you on making ahead for all the reasons you listed. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't like reheated food, but I pre-prep as much as possible. On Wednesday I put together my green been casserole, made my apple filling for pie, peeled my potatoes and put them in the pot with the water and put everything in the refrigerator.  I baked my rolls on Wednesday, too.  I had other people bringing the salad and relish tray.  No sweet potatoes this year.  The person bringing that dish got Covid and couldn't come (but she's doing fine). 

This is the first year that I roasted my turkey on Wednesday.  It worked GREAT!  What a relief to have that mess out of the way.  It went into the Nesco roaster pan with the drippings and a little extra chicken broth and into the refrigerator overnight.   It was perfect the next day.

I mashed the potatoes at about 9AM on Thursday and put them in a small Nesco roaster.  I thought they got a little soupy by the time we ate.  I will remember to make them a little stiffer to begin with next time.

Respected Contributor

What happens if you have leftovers? Do you just throw it out cause it isn't fresh made? I love my valcum sealer can have hot turkey sandwich later. Hate throwing out food. Notice in March when covid came, 1st thing to empty was the grocery freezer section. I rather make my own & seal it up. Most people don't cook rely on pre made frozen. Sometimes we couldn't find things & think soon we may have that happen again. So glad no picky eaters here, my Mom would say when you get hungry enough you will be glad to have it to eat. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@panda1234 ...yesterday was a breeze, except for my step daughter was 30 minutes late....sigh.

@Mom2Dogs @Yes, getting that turkey out of the way is a tremendous help. Thirty mins late, really? Did you start without her?