Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Cook Side Dishes Ahead?

Yes... doing the cooking today, to reheat tomorrow. Enjoy it much more when I dont have to smell food cooking all day.

Honored Contributor

I do pie, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole ahead of time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since I married back in the early '80's and started contributing or hosting Thanksgiving I have done most of the work prior.  Freezer is full of desserts starting on Veternan's Day.  But the actual cooking of veg. is the day of Thanksgiving.  I will prepare most if not all of the sides on Wed. afternoon and cover and place in the fridge overnight.  Green bean casserole, dressing, corn pudding casserole ect.........  Just set it out to take the chill off of it a bit then put in the oven after turkey is done.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Yes, I will be this year. Mashing the turnips today,cooking yams and maybe mashed potatoes. I have the dishes out and table set. I don't like to be rushed or have a ton of things to do on the day.

Respected Contributor

No, I don't do any cooking the day before. Yes, it is exhausting  but totally worth it.....for me. 

Honored Contributor

Today I roasted the turkey...it's cut and in the fridge for reheating.

I have made the cranberry recipe as well as the stuffing.  

Tomorrow I will make the green bean casserole.  Potatoes as well in the morning.  I did buy a frozen sweet potatoe dish, I am the only one that eats sweet potatoes.

I am thrilled to have the big mess out of the way, tomorrow will be easy.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Yes, I've made side dishes ahead of time. I find that it's always less hectic to prepare the  side dishes a day or two ahead and just assemble and bake on Thanksgiving day.  All baking is usually done the day before to free up the oven for the bird. 

This year it's just me so I ordered carry out Thanksgiving dinner from a restaurant that I picked up today and will re-heat tomorrow. 

Honored Contributor

Salad has been made and green bean casserole is in oven now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Desserts the day before. When I have sweet potato casserole, I do that the day before. Just better on day 2. Everything else on Thursday. The house smells great for 2 days. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Regular Contributor

Tackling as much prep as possible ahead of time always makes things easier. I tend to make my liver pudding, cheesecake, etc.., a day ahead of time not only for the ease it makes on the day of the event but in the case something goes wrong you have time to enact plan B.