Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Do You Cook Side Dishes Ahead?

i'm tempted to start cooking side dishes today instead of thanksgiving tomorrow and just reheating them.  Do you cook ahead and if so what dishes.  There will just be two of us this year and I want it to be relaxing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Cook Side Dishes Ahead?

Yes sweet potatoes in oven right now. 

Honored Contributor

Ina Garten always says to make as many things ahead that you can. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I start two days before Thanksgiving.  Reheat on Thanksgiving.  The only problem mashed potatoes take a long time to reheat in a big bowl.  I reheat first and put in oven to stay hot.  

I think everything tastes better when made a day or two early.  Flavors blend together.   

Honored Contributor

My side dishes are prepped and in the freezer, but St. Clair prepped and froze them for me.

Honored Contributor

For a number of years when I took the meal 250 miles to my mom, I would make gravy ahead and freeze, or at least stock sometimes, freeze dressing ahead, and do as much as I could.

We also switched to baked sweet potatoes only, topping them hot out of the oven with brown sugar, butter, or even marshmallows while they were hot and we all liked them so much better than in those too sweet casseroles. 

If I were doing it today, it would be a boneless breast only on the day, or Ina Garten style a day ahead, sliced with broth in the serving dish and heated on the day.

Nobody is gonna know, and if they care send them home immediately without pie. 

Esteemed Contributor

My family always had their meal midday.  Always actually enjoyed the marathon of not starting until the day.  Only chopped prior to them.  Peaceful in the dark alone with your crust.

Honored Contributor

No, my family doesn't like warmed over food.

I make everything fresh the day of.

Valued Contributor

I cooked my sweet potatoes on Sunday , but will not put together the entire casserole until Thursday.  I just put them in a ziplock.  I already cut up the celery for the stuffing and put in a ziplock.  Also made jello cranberry salad and pumpkin pie.

Super Contributor

Always cook ahead

Stuffing...not in the bird...then micro the day of (use celery, butter, wine, onion,diced apples,chicken stock, oilve oil , bells seasoning...)

Gravey...use wine mushrooms and canned...doctored up is great...and like Erma Bombeck used to say...Gravey is a beverage, not a teaspoon

Carrotts--lemon and butter and parsley--micro day of

Sweet Potatos...all ready to go in the oven once the bird is taken out to rest

cranberries---OJ Vodka and sugar cooked together--in fridge ready to hit the table

Mashed potatoes---ready for the crockpot---no muss no fuss...

thin baby green beans, mushrooms,onions wine all cooked...Micro day of