Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Always Have A Green Vegetable In A Main Meal?

I don't.  I like many of them.  I need to get organized and back to meal planning.

Honored Contributor

We do almost always.  If we are just having light meals like tuna or sandwiches, sometimes it's carrot and celery sticks.  But we tend to go for broccoli, squash, sauteed cabbage, carrots, and onions.  Oh and we have LOTS of bell peppers--sometimes raw.  We try to have leafy greens like spincah, collards or kale at least 3 times per week.

We buy mostly organic because the things we usually eat are on the list of most pesticides!  

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

Usually here also. I like colors on my plate.

@StylishLadyI do too!  Usually, if the plate (other than the meat) is all white/beige/yellow you have a plate of starch!

Honored Contributor

we almost always have some type of a green salad AND a green vegetable......

green beans, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, peas, snow peas, sugar snap peas, and occasionally lima beans (which i dont care for too much.) during the summer we also have a basket of herbs as a side (usually eaten with pita bread and sometimes feta cheese)......the herbs included are basil, spring onions or chives, tarragon, some type of parsley, and radishes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Years ago, my GYN told me to eat lots of dark green and dark yellow vegetables, the darker the better. So yes, we eat a lot of spinach, kale, different kinds of squashes (I dearly love roasted butternut squash, but we also eat a lot of acorn squash, pattypans), sweet potatoes, etc. We do have our share of corn, potatoes, limas, green and wax beans, broccoli, too. We eat a lot of vegetables anyway and I really try to put dark greens and dark yellows on our plates. I'm lucky because DH will eat them, too. I dearly love red beets, but DH won't touch them. Other than that, he's good to go.

We have Meatless Mondays quite often and our main dish will be a twice-baked acorn squash. It's quite good. I use spinach, green onion, a bit of Parmesan, some cayenne pepper, sometimes I throw in some dried cranberries. It's really quite good.

Honored Contributor

Breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Egg White omelet has green veg. and shaved carrots (no cheese) lunch is a salad with assorted veg. (all colors), and dinner is a boiled shrimp with assorted veg. on lettuce but usually with a little cheese.

Love all veggies warm or cold.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

green veggies are my main meal.....

Ditto!

Honored Contributor

I always have one of every food group when I make a meal. Always have, always will. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"