Honored Contributor

Do Most Area Grocery Sores Use Instacart in Your Area?

Tired last weekend, I ordered Fresh Market's chicken meal deal for delivery to my car and was surprised to get an Instacart charge.

Sometimes, I'll do Walmart car pick up if I'm short on time; no Instacart charge.

Are they charging me for the convenience?  You'd think they appreciate the business.

Thank you for your discussion.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Do Most Area Grocery Sores Use Instacart in Your Area?

From southern WV, the local Wal-Mart, Kroger, and IGA offer online ordering and pickup.  Wal-Mart has a limited delivery area directly from the store.  I don't use any of these services.  

Respected Contributor

I have only done a store pickup once at Sams club and there was no extra charge.  If all they did was walk it out to your car I would be upset for an instacart charge since you could have waited at home for it.

Valued Contributor

No home delivery for anything here..The supermarket does Instacart for pick up.

If I have to go pick it up I might as well shop for myself.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  I know Publix here uses Instacart. Not sure about other places that might use it. Instacart does not use Publix employees so there is a charge.

I use free grocery pickup only and get most of my things that way from WalMart & Target. I occasionally go other places but go into the store for what I need. Grocery pickup saves me so much time!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG    Are you saying you were in your car at Fresh Market's location and they charged you to bring your order from the store to their parking lot?  I'd call the manager and pitch a fit if that's the case.

I haven't been in a grocery since 2019 and have no plans to return.  I get everything at Walmart's pick up.  I wouldn't use Instacart because of the fees, tips, and problems I've heard about.  They become an expensive service.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Meijer (big box grocer) and WM are closest to me.

Both have pickup at their stores for free. Meijer uses Shipt for delivery and I'm told WM uses Spark ?

No Instacart here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our Publix uses Instacart for Curbside pick-up and delivery and also uses Shipt for delivery.  

I use Shipt and have used them since I had surgery in 2016.  I have had several wonderful shoppers and they have been a life saver to me!

I tip my current shopper 20%.  She is the best and well worth the money. 

I have had Covid (12 weeks) and she has literally saved me!  I could manage to fix meals with her help!  I haven't felt strong enough to drive yet!

Some things are just worth the money!  They make your life better!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG 

If you got an Instacart charge, it means they did the shopping too.

Respected Contributor

Only one small grocery chain (3 stores) that doesn't do home deliveries charges $4.95 for pickup orders but they call about substitutions & adding forgotten items before checking your order out....it's not an Instacart charge, it's for their shoppers & I don't mind because they do an excellent job. I don't have a Fresh Market near me but I'm surprised any large chain would do Instacart charges for pickup....hope the meal deal was good @ECBG.